Tested water for first time today, chlorine test was basically clear and pH is low. Next steps?

jlyfshhh

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2020
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone. I tested my water for the first time today and was disappointed with the results. I’ve followed what the pool store told me to but now don’t really trust them so am planning on just doing it myself. I have only had the pool for a couple weeks but here is everything I have done so far, all under direction of the pool store. Their only direction I didn’t follow was just taking them a water sample and not worrying about my own test kit. I bought the TF-100 and did the first daily test today.

July 3 - Pool finished filling, added half bottle algaecide and bag of shock

July 6 - bag of shock, pristine check

July 7 - Backwashed 2 minutes, Rinse 30 secs, added bottle of Pristine Blue.

July 8 - Ton of rain raised water level too high. Backwashed down to normal level.

July 13 - added bag of Pristine Power

July 14 - First daily test (Cl Br < .5 and pH 6.8)

Can anyone help me out with my next steps? I don’t have anything right now other than half a bottle of the algaecide and a bag of shock.

0C13EA57-6C2B-498D-811C-A0B4DC899D8E.jpegB281879F-258E-46DF-9386-7F621634E48D.jpegD9575C90-0418-42FA-B016-FC6D39847AE3.jpegBBE7BE29-F456-4DDE-B483-22D5A193F1FF.jpeg1BB65FE5-E888-47F0-8F0D-6FB31C6BE05B.jpeg

You need to read the Pool School section. Some of the stuff you are adding has copper which is not necessary and can be a problem in the long term. Did you do a CYA test? The CYA level determines the level you want to hold your chlorine.

Edit - You appear to be using a non-chlorine shock that I'm not familiar with. I'll let somebody more knowledgeable comment from here on.

Use that good kit you bought and post all your numbers in a little more logical fashion.....like this....

pH =
FC =
CC =
CH =
CYA =

You don't HAVE TO have all those tests but you need some practice with the kit and it helps us a lot to see everything lined up logically. Post those numbers back and we'll all help

Rule #1 ............STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE!

Okay, so I've been reading. Pristine Blue is Copper Sulfate. While it is an algaecide, it's not a sanitizer, and if you have enough sanitizer in the water to be safe for swimming, you won't get algae so you don't need it. And it can leave blotchy stains on the pool walls and turn simmers' hair green. Don't add any more.
Next up: Pristine Check. SDS says Phosphonic Acid. It is used to remove metal stains. Like the kind you'll get from using the Pristine Blue.... It also breaks down in Phosphates, which is algae food. Use it a while and the pool store will then sell you phos-free to remove the phosphates they had you add to remove the stains from the copper they had you add.
That Algaecide 60 is good stuff, but save it for closing. Again, if you maintain enough FC, you won't get algae.
The fourth item is Potassium Monopersulfate. It's a strong oxidizer and can be used to kill algae. But it reads as CC and messes with the CC test. Not a good match with a TF100. Don't use it any more.
Item Five is Cal-hypo, which is an acceptable chlorine source if your CH level isn't already high. If is the operative word. We'll know about that after you test CH. You have a vinyl pool, so low CH is no problem because there is no plaster to damage, but high CH can still lead to scale formation. If the bag is open, finish it. If you can't locate Sodium Hypochlorirte aka bleach it can be used as a substitute, so if its sealed, save it for an emergency.

Looks to me like you've been Pool-stored, but you got off lighter than most. It looks like you haven't added anything that raises CYA yet. So if the test mixture doesn't get cloudy, it just proves it. We'll get you squared-away. Tell us where you're at (test results) and we'll give you directions to get you where you want to be.

59B2BB99-A9CD-40DC-99F1-DF29111A0E38.jpeg
Ran through the whole test kit and recorded it in the app. Notes:
CC = 1
TC = 2
I put 0 for CYA because I filled the whole tube up and could still see the black dot.

Very nice work!

1. Bring pH up using 20 Mule Team Borax. Calculate dose for 7.3 or so. TA will come up with pH

2. Calculate and add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm. No need to test just calculate carefully and add it.

3. Calculate and dose enough FC to get you to 5 ppm (I don't think it will stay long but it's enough for now)

4. Test and post results tomorrow AM. Be prepared to raise pH and raise chlorine.again.....possibly SLAM the pool but let's see your results first.

What does your water look like?

STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE! :mrgreen:

Thanks duraleigh! The water is nice and clear. I am going to head out and get everything I need. I can get all of it at Walmart right? Also, the calculator says I need to add almost 9 lbs of Borax! That seems like a lot, does that sound right?

Last edited:
It is a lot of Borax but your pH is really low. Since that calc is not precise, let's do it with 6 lbs today and then test and finish the dose tomorrow AM.

Walmart's a good spot. You may have to go to a Grocery store to get 20 mule team........it's in the laundry section

Also, since you will be adding a significant amount of Borax, I would use the Effects of Adding in the Pool Math to calculate the PPM of borates that will be added and log that in. Otherwise, if you need to lower the PH in the future, the calculated amount will be off and you will end up wondering why the PH didn't go down as expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I just got back from the store and I added everything that was suggested except the bleach. On this screen, when it says it will raise FC by 4, is that 4ppm?

Ok so I just got back from the store and I added everything that was suggested except the bleach. On this screen, when it says it will raise FC by 4, is that 4ppm?
I'm about 99% sure that is it but you are a little vague as to which screen, etc. How much chlorine do you intend to put in?

Thanks everyone! I added the 81oz that the app said would give me 5ppm. I will retest everything in the morning and see where I’m at. Should I leave the pump running since I added chemicals or am I ok to turn it off at night like I usually do?

Thanks everyone! I added the 81oz that the app said would give me 5ppm. I will retest everything in the morning and see where I’m at. Should I leave the pump running since I added chemicals or am I ok to turn it off at night like I usually do?
Leave the pump on fifteen minutes or better after adding chemicals, so they mix well. No need to run the pump all night.

How did you add the stabilizer? Did you use the sock method? The stabilizer will take the longest and the pump should be running to help with dissolving and distributing it.

I just poured it in by the return jet so it spread it around. This is the first I’ve heard about the sock method. Oops. How long do you think it will take to dissolve? The pump goes off at 8pm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.