Test strips show high CYA but have not added it

Bowers

Jun 13, 2019
Edmond, Oklahoma
I drained the pool & now refilling it . I have not added anything but bleach. Pool is clear. My water is well water with 12 ppm salt. Test strips from Leslie’s pool
Show low chlorine & high CYA. How can that be? I have not added any CYA yet. Was planning to add Dichlor ( has stabilizer).

Welcome to TFP!

You have discovered why we don't use test strips here: they are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. They are made as cheaply as possible and that includes very little quality control.

Howdy! :wave:

Wow, that is a puzzler.

Not really. We don't trust test strips for this very reason. They're wrong as often as they're right and you don't know which one is which. Except in this case, you do, because CYA doesn't occur in nature, therefore you have none. It's even possible that another strip from that same bottle will tell you that CYA is low or nonexistent. Yes, they can be that bad. Now you got me wondering why you had to drain your pool? Repairs? Resurfacing? Did the chemistry get so out of whack that the best solution was to start all over?

Do yourself a favor and invest in a proper test kit. Then stay out of Leslie's. You've found us. The answers you need are here. The chemicals you need are at Walmart or Home Depot or some other big box store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.