Alkalinity 82ppm
Cyanuric Acid 52ppm
Copper 0.2ppm
Salt 3200ppm

Pool store recommendations
- 1.6 L of Muriatic Acid or 2 kg of Aqua pH Minus
- 6.8 kg of Aqua Trol
- 16.3 kg of Aqua Cal

Just checking in to see if recommendations align or if anything is excessive. Thanks

Well, the first question is where did you get those test results?
They look suspiciously like pool store test which we do not trust and thus shy away from using to provide recommendations.

I have no idea what some of those chemical recommendations are.
If you want to believe those test results:
Your FC is too low and your pH is too high.
The CH might be too low, but it depends on your pool surface, which we do not know because you have not filled in your signature ;)

Take a look at ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

How does the water look?

You are correct they are from a pool company. I am having a hard time finding TF-100 kit or similar in Canada.
This pool company is very close and wanted to have a test done, place I usually have test my water I believe is using TF-100 kit. The closer location uses a device that appears to plug into usb port on computer and does the analysis (the put in a disc/puck between tests).

Link for Aqua Trol - Aqua Trol and Aqua Cal - Aqua CAL

Not sure what other specifics would help. It is all hayward equipment (salt water, sand filter), pool 18x30 with vinyl liner.

Way up there your only real option is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. There is a monopoly up there for the distribution of Taylor reagents, so tftestkits can't ship the TF-100 up there. There are other members who have acquired the TF-100 up there by driving it across or using a re-shipper I think.

With a vinyl liner, there is no need to raise the CH. So Aqua-CAL would be a waste of money.
AquaTrol is just over-priced baking soda and a level of 82ppm is fine, if not a little on the high side for a SWG pool.

Lowering the pH with muriatic acid is the 1 thing they appeared to recommend correctly.
You should also raise the FC with some liquid chlorine and/or turn up the SWG output.

Appreciate the quick replies. I did just turn up the SWG to 50% as it had been at 45%. I may have the other pool company test as that is who I used last year and never really had any issues or recommendations for adding "extras" that aren't needed.

As for the Acid is there anything generic that I can find at home depot/lowes or similar? Otherwise I can order muriatic acid (Acid Magic Safer Muriatic Acid (4 Litre Commercial Sized Container) | Pool Supplies Canada)

"Safer" generally means weaker for the same price.
You can get muriatic acid at any hardware store. Check the concentration though. Some is 14% and others are 30% for often the same price. The pool section might be weaker than what you find in the paint section or something.

I actually buy my MA at the pool store as it is full strength for a reasonable cost.

Found at TSC.

Was going to get MURIATIC ACID MAGIC 3.78L unless specific reason to get 4L MURIATIC ACID both are same strength

Found thread from ~10 years ago not sure if still holds true if so I will just get the regular.

And another more recent, looks like I'll save myself the minor difference and get regular MA

Last edited:
I would run your free chlorine closer to 6-7 parts. Instead of going to 50%, bump it to 100% until the FC is where you need it, then back off to maybe 60%. 45% appears to not be high enough to meet your chlorine demand. Check your FC daily and adjust the SWG output accordingly. You are safe to swim with chlorine up to around 20 or so (if your CYA reading is accurate, which is questionable).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.