Test my water with

hairco

May 25, 2008
S.C.Myrtle Beach
Hi i am still fighting clearing up my pool.The water s looking almost clear.
I have a Basic Residentail Taylor Pool & Spa test kit K-101 & IT has a cl, Br, pH
on it.I have a in ground fiberglass pool.My water tested
pH-75
Cl 2
Br 4
What does that mean i don't wont to sound stupid or maybe i need a differant kind of kit.
Thanks

First let me start off by saying it wouldn't hurt to get more for your kit. Maybe just adding CYA and the stuff for TC would help some. Your Ph is within normal limits and you chlorine is ok. 2 is a little low for me but how does your water actually look? Is it cloudy, colored etc.

Hi harco and welcome.

The "Stickies" section, located at the top of each page in the sub-heading (or link in my sig), is full of great information.

Please read "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry", by duraleigh

"How to turn a green swamp back in to a sparkling oasis" by JasonLion

and "BBB..Or, what are these chemicals?" by Waterbear

It would be helpful if you would add your pool and equipment info in your signature.

The best investment we made in our pool was a good test kit, like the TF Test kit sold here by duraleigh. Link in my sig. It has saved us $$$$!

i STILL NEED SOME ADVICE

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME
I am a blonde hairstylist & know nothing about pool water.

1- Pool is a fiberglass 14x32 & 3 1/2 at one end & 6 1/2 deep end
So how many gal. of water does my pool hold?

2- How many hrs. does it take for my pool water to completely
circilate the water?

What is a Sock filter & how do i use it? Where does it go?

I have come from swamp water to almost clear thanks to all of you here.

I still have beige stains on my stepts & around th sides of the pool
i wouls like to know how to remove them?

I brushed the bottom of my pool yeaterday & vac. it & will do
again today but i need to remove the beige stains.

My pH is still good & my chlorine is good.

Also how can i clean around the lights it is way down below the water?
Thanks so much.

Your pool probably holds about 15,000 gallons.

How quickly the water "circulates" depends on the relative size of the pump and the pool.

For the stains you should try gently rubbing them with a trichlor tablet and see if anything happens after 30 seconds. If that has no effect get some crushed vitamin C tablets in a sock and gently rub them with that for 30 seconds and see if anything happens.

Glue around my pool

Thanks for your help.

One more questaion.
When i had my pool put in i had the guy that poured the cement around my pool to
round the edges around the fiberglasspool with cement. Sonow you don't see any fiberglass edges
Well i got the forms they had to put around it to pour the cement in & i am guessing the forms came with peel off
sticker tape. Well when they removed the forms it left glue all around the pool.Well you can;t get him back to remove
it. I know i can use some oil & remove but it will get in my water & i don't wont grease floating on top of my water
with every thing i am fighting right now.
Do you have any suggusting? Thanks

Jasonloin

Jasonlion i did the test with the Vitamin C & the brown/beige spots did come off but i have it all around the water line about
5 in wide & on the steps do i have to ise the Vitamin C with a sock all around the pool & steps or is there something else.
Also if Vitamin C removes what caused the stain? Thanks

Your stains are caused by iron. Fiberglass pools are prone to staining, that is their one major fault. However, the stains are very easy to remove. This sticky will walk you through the procedure. If you have any questions just ask them
BTW, ascorbic acid is just another name for vitamin C but you want ascorbic acid powder which you can get online fairly inexpensively. Here is a place that several people swear by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ineed help Bad

I tested my water & my CL is Red & Ph is 7.6 & now i wonted to put the Acid in to remove the brown stain.
hAVE I ADDED TO MUCH BLEACH OR WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG ?
I know my Ph should show yellow in the testing vial.
Please someone help me? Thanks

You said you are a hairdresser so I know you learned a bit of chemistry to pass your State Board. You should at lease have some clue as to what pH is. (I am a licensed cosmetologist and barber in Florida and used to teach both) If you go back and read the sticky on using ascorbic acid to remove iron staining the procedure is easier than following the instructions on a box of permanent wave! Stop playing the blonde card and pay attention ( I KNOW hairdressers, been in the business over 30 years!) :shock:
First, either get a GOOD test kit or have your water tested and post a full set of test results. If you take the time to read through the stickies it will tell you what info you need http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3662
Once you have done that you might get some helpful answers to your question on what you need to do next. Also if you are using chlorine in your pool then ignore the bromine reading. You are not using bromine. The OTO testkit you have tests for both chlorine or bromne, depending on which sanitizer you use.
What type of chlorine are you using? I suspect that you are using chlorine tablets in a feeder or floater because your pool is overstabilized. Your CYA is WAY too high. THAT is the first thing you have to address. The staining can wait. I also would suggest that you read this sticky http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=435 so you post accurate info. You posted a test number of cy 150 and I think you meant TA 150 since you had stabilizer at 90 ppm right under it (CYA is stabilizer).
Once you give us some accurate info we can help you. Also the ascorbic acid used to remove staining is NOT the same as the muriatic acid you use to lower pH.

Waterbear sorry i got you upset but i am a Licensed Cosmetologist & Master Barber & have won more trophy
than i care to rember, but that dosen't make me a pool boy.I went to school for Cosmetology not to test pool water.
Helping someone is always a good thing .When you go to bed at night it is nice to think well i help that person today
instead of being ugly to someone. God loves us all.
Some people just arn't as Smart as others.It take some people longer to get it as you get older.
But thank you very much for your advice.

I did not mean to offend you but you are not posting the info needed and it is obvious that you are not reading the stickies you are being referred to. (And you were the one who said you were a 'blond hairdresser'! :wink: )Like I said your main problem right now is that your stabilizer is too high and I asked how you are chlorinating. I suspect that you are using trichlor tablets. Am I correct?
Anyway, I ain't no spring chicken myself! :shock:
Congrats on the competition trophies! I KNOW what kind of prep goes into that! When I served on the board of the Greater Miami cosmetologist's Association (local affiliate of NHCA) we used to hold competitions on a regular basis. I used to do a lot of platform work and education for product companies (mostly color, perm, and relaxing) and also hair and makeup for movie shoots and fashion work (Florida is a right to work state so they loved the fact that I was non union!). That was when I lived and owned a salon in Miami.
Now getting back to your pool......
Get a full set of test results and post them and also tell us what you are using for normal chlorination and what you are shocking with. You have a few water balance issues if your numbers you have posted are accurate that need to be addressed before tackling the stains. BTW, the stains are an EASY fix once you get to them.

Also, if you take the time to read the stickies you would learn some of the terms used in pool care. It is important to use the right words when you are describing a problems. Same in hairdressing. If I told you that you needed to place rollers in the crown on base and the ones on the sides off base or that a cut was done horizonatally at 45 deg elevation from the nape to occipital you would know exactly what I was talking about. Same for pools. (and maintaining a pool is a LOT easier than doing hair! I know this for a fact!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.