Temperature sensor in pump line.

robstar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Silly question, but why don't people install temperature sensors on the water line going to the pump? (or do they?) That water is coming from the skimmers and main drain and is probably a good representative sample of the temperature.

I ask b/c i've been trying to rig up a system with a floating sensor, but a) it reads too close to the surface, b) it leaks and needs draining, drying, and re-sealing every couple of months, c) it needs batteries.

An electronic temperature probe in a pump line would only have good data while the pump was running, but other than that, can anyone think of downsides? (the pump itself heats the water a little, so you'd probably want the sensor before it.)

As for the mechanical details of what i'm imagining, i'd add a threaded tap to the side of the pipe and construct a modified plug with the sensor to screw into it, making replacement/modification easy.

If you found the right kind of adapter, most pumps have two drain plugs - one at the bottom of the basket and one in the volute. You could simply rig your sensor up to a properly sized plug and put it in there.

Here's the threaded bit (sanded to shape by wrapping sandpaper around a piece of 2" PVC):
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.27.00 PM.jpg

And here it is attached:
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.27.20 PM.jpg

Tomorrow i'll drill a hole into the pipe. In the meantime, i'm going to see how long a stainless steel machine screw takes to equalize its temperature if one end is in water and the other end is insulated, as that seems like a possible probe design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.