Tear in vinyl liner

loranne07

Jun 3, 2022
Lawrenceburg
Hello we just bought a home with an unground pool with a vinyl liner. We just opened it up for the summer and we lost a lot of water overnight. We found a tear in the liner. Is it possible to repair the tear to make it through the summer to save for a new liner? If so, any recommendations on repair kits? The pool is about 3/4 full and we would like to not drain it.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: There are many, many liner patch kits available at the local store or online. You can patch underwater as well. Success can be influenced by the location. Tears at a corner or seam could be troublesome. Hopefully yours is on a flat area. Good luck!

It really depends on where the tear is. I had a tear in the corner where the liner was torn horizontally - basically separating from top connection to the wall. On the plus side, not much water leaked as the tear was above the water line. On the down side, no patch or cement or anything I could fine would hold for more than a few weeks as apparently there was just too much stress on the liner (which is why it probably tore in the first place, that plus sun damage - it was an old liner and the corner had direct sun almost the whole day). Anyway, I was able to hobble for a year (it was ripped when I opened) and save for the replacement the following spring. I think the tear and patches were also an algae trap as I had some algae control issues that I haven't experienced since I replaced the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.