Swampthing2829

Jun 30, 2022
Seacoast NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Drained and refilled due to ridiculously off chemistry and high CYA this weekend after clearing an algae issue from faulty equipment. We ended up leaving about 8 inches of water. Water is clear and beautiful looking now.

FC- 1.2
Cc- 0.4
Ph- 7.4
TA- 100
CH- 20
CYA- less than 30 (if I overfilled to the top of the vial, the black dot disappeared when the water reached the top ready to overflow- so I’m guessing that’s around 20?

Pool math says to do the following:
25 oz 6% bleach
8.8 oz dry stabilizer to get us to 30 CYA
Then it says reduce ph to 7.0 then aerate to get TH down? But using what? And how much?

First thing to address is your FC. Add enough to get to at least 5. I have a SWCG, so I manage FC and CYA a little differently than you will. Use the chart below to determine your optimal levels of FC and CYA. I don’t understand the need to lower pH from 7.4. That level should be fine and is already flirting with the low end of the range. Address FC and CYA first. Anything else can wait until you have those at the right levels.

First thing to address is your FC. Add enough to get to at least 5. I have a SWCG, so I manage FC and CYA a little differently than you will. Use the chart below to determine your optimal levels of FC and CYA. I don’t understand the need to lower pH from 7.4. That level should be fine and is already flirting with the low end of the range. Address FC and CYA first. Anything else can wait until you have those at the right levels.

Apparently the total hardness is elevated so the way to get it down is lower ph and aerate the pool then raise the ph again. I’m only able to address the FC and stabilizer today bc of the holiday- I’m not going to a store.
I’ll check the chart out. Pool math had my target at 3 vs 5 FC

Your TA is above range (not total hardness) and the app is suggesting to get it back into range. But TA is not a critical parameter, so focus on FC and CYA right now.

Your TA is above range (not total hardness) and the app is suggesting to get it back into range. But TA is not a critical parameter, so focus on FC and CYA right now.
You’re right. I haven’t had my coffee yet this morning. Thank you for the correction. Once I add cya and bleach, I’d the water safe to swim in today?

HA! I am a retired Kdg teacher so this one sounds like it was just calling to me! LOL

First off the only thing we are going to work on to keep you from facing what you did before is the FC and CYA. Here is the chart I want you to use and look at:
FC/CYA Levels

I want you to call the CYA 20 for now. Add enough chlorine to get the FC at the biggest number for your CYA at 20. Use pool math and go do it now please.

Okay are you back from adding the chlorine?

CYA test-GLANCE in when checking this test. Do not look for the googly eye. Pour to first line, GLANCE in. If you see the googly eye pour to the next line, GLANCE in. Go line by line until you don't see the google eye at a GLANCE.

Do add enough powder CYA to get your CYA level up to 30 from 20. Put the powder in a sock (like you wear) and walk around in the pool squeezing the sock until it is all gone. You can also hang it off a broom handle or such in front of the return to get it in the pool that way.

Wait for 24 hours before you test for the CYA BUT act as if it in the pool and dose your FC to a CYA level of 30 from the chart above.

Test your FC two times a day for a couple/few days so you can learn what YOUR pool needs to stay clear.

You do NOT want your FC to ever get below the minimum number for your CYA. That will invite another algae outbreak.

If you see your afternoon FC check is even close to the minimum then add more next time until you find out how much FC your pool ends up with after a day of sun and fun.

You can live with your FC and TC for now. I want you to learn your FC needs before we add too much other stuff to your plate. We will work on things one at a time. FC and CYA go together. pH and TA go together so we will work on them next.

Does all make sense to you? I tried to make sure there was not a wall words so it all stands out.

Reactions: Swampthing2829
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HA! I am a retired Kdg teacher so this one sounds like it was just calling to me! LOL

First off the only thing we are going to work on to keep you from facing what you did before is the FC and CYA. Here is the chart I want you to use and look at:
FC/CYA Levels

I want you to call the CYA 20 for now. Add enough chlorine to get the FC at the biggest number for your CYA at 20. Use pool math and go do it now please.

Okay are you back from adding the chlorine?

CYA test-GLANCE in when checking this test. Do not look for the googly eye. Pour to first line, GLANCE in. If you see the googly eye pour to the next line, GLANCE in. Go line by line until you don't see the google eye at a GLANCE.

Do add enough powder CYA to get your CYA level up to 30 from 20. Put the powder in a sock (like you wear) and walk around in the pool squeezing the sock until it is all gone. You can also hang it off a broom handle or such in front of the return to get it in the pool that way.

Wait for 24 hours before you test for the CYA BUT act as if it in the pool and dose your FC to a CYA level of 30 from the chart above.

Test your FC two times a day for a couple/few days so you can learn what YOUR pool needs to stay clear.

You do NOT want your FC to ever get below the minimum number for your CYA. That will invite another algae outbreak.

If you see your afternoon FC check is even close to the minimum then add more next time until you find out how much FC your pool ends up with after a day of sun and fun.

You can live with your FC and TC for now. I want you to learn your FC needs before we add too much other stuff to your plate. We will work on things one at a time. FC and CYA go together. pH and TA go together so we will work on them next.

Does all make sense to you? I tried to make sure there was not a wall words so it all stands out.
Thank you! I own a daycare and have five children under 12 myself hahaha I need it broken down kindergarten teacher style after so many years of talking to tiny humans all day long

I own a daycare and have five children under 12 myself
OH HONEY! Here is a :hug: for you and this for the end of the day:
box wine GIF

My one big worry is that my pool gets near daily heavy use. 5-12 kids in /out of it a day.
Should I be testing FC daily all season? Do I need to do the CC test as often?
Also- on Friday I’ll be out of town for 4 days, but my parents and kids will be home. What do I do to keep things looking good while I’m away? Do I teach my parents how to use the test kit?

GREAT questions!

YES you will need to test your FC daily with the heavy use. Now if you find you are adding just about the same amount each day after a couple of weeks of testing then you can safely just add what you have been adding each day.

You have all of this week to learn how much FC you lose each day and how much chlorine you are adding. I would have your parents add the average FC you have to add each day. Don't make it harder on them with testing. If you really want to "spoil" them have the chlorine add poured out into something so all they have to do and grab the one labeled Friday and pour it in.

Make sure to tell them to NOT have "good" clothes on when they do it as we know they will get polka dots if they do :roll: LOL

I would go ahead and order some more regents for testing LOL

OH HONEY! Here is a :hug: for you and this for the end of the day:
box wine GIF
I’
GREAT questions!

YES you will need to test your FC daily with the heavy use. Now if you find you are adding just about the same amount each day after a couple of weeks of testing then you can safely just add what you have been adding each day.

You have all of this week to learn how much FC you lose each day and how much chlorine you are adding. I would have your parents add the average FC you have to add each day. Don't make it harder on them with testing. If you really want to "spoil" them have the chlorine add poured out into something so all they have to do and grab the one labeled Friday and pour it in.

Make sure to tell them to NOT have "good" clothes on when they do it as we know they will get polka dots if they do :roll: LOL

I would go ahead and order some more regents for testing LOL
is it best to test in the morning before they use it or evening after swimming? And am I only doing FC only or both FC and cc?
I think pre portioning the bleach is a fabulous idea so hopefully by Thursday night I’ll be able to figure with reasonable certainty how much to have them add.

For now I would test two times a day since you are really just learning your pool. We don't know how hard the evening chlorine will have work overnight so do 2 times a day for this week.

I would only worry about FC for right now.

For now I would test two times a day since you are really just learning your pool. We don't know how hard the evening chlorine will have work overnight so do 2 times a day for this week.

I would only worry about FC for right now.
Thank you!! So my plan is to test AM and PM starting now. I’ll come back Thursday AM and post my log to make sure I’m having them add an appropriate dose of bleach

I just added:
41 oz (7.5% concentration) bleach to raise FC level to 5 assuming a CYA of 20.
8.8 oz dry stabilizer to increase cya from assumed 20 to 30 using a sock and hanging it in the path of the return jet.

Kids are going to get in within the next couple of hours!! Thanks all

I just added:
41 oz (7.5% concentration) bleach to raise FC level to 5 assuming a CYA of 20.
8.8 oz dry stabilizer to increase cya from assumed 20 to 30 using a sock and hanging it in the path of the return jet.

Kids are going to get in within the next couple of hours!! Thanks all
Remember to adjust your FC target Moving forward. Your new assumed CYA is 30.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.