TDS Total Dissolved Solids - Does it Matter?

Aug 19, 2017
Auburn/IN
Moved from here.
TDS is meaningless. There are certain components that matter. One is calcium, or CH. The other is CYA. TDS also includes salt, which you add with liquid chlorine. It does not influence pool water chemistry.
I had the same experience. I’ve been using the trouble free pool method for about three years now. My TDS at my last water check at the pool store was over 5000. They said that I really needed to stop using liquid chlorine and start draining and refilling to reduce that TDS. Does it really matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
My ph is 6.8 so I have to bring that up. Alk was 116. FC was 3.5 and cc is 1. I was starting the slam process but when I checked my levels after my first LC addition the ph had gone down. I’m going to try and raise that and then start slam again. I can’t figure out how much LC I need to add. I thought there was a chart but I can’t find it. Water is only 56 degrees and the pool store said my cya would not be accurate as a result. It is about 28.

A TA of 116 (not from your kit, please use your own test kit) will not allow the pH to be at 6.8 for long. I would not touch a thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the salinity is over about 5,000, you might want to consider doing a partial drain and refill.

Check the salinity of the fill water as well.
My salinity level is 4400. FC is 4.5, CYA is 30, pH is 7.2, alk is 150. I have well water. Pool water is clear and inviting. Water temp is 70. It’s hard to find info on salt levels for pools that use chlorine. Is mine high?

It’s hard to find info on salt levels for pools that use chlorine. Is mine high?
It is, but borderline. For a chlorine pool, most people get the ‘feel’ a hair over 2k and can barely start to taste it around 3K. Some SWGs require it to be 3600-4K so those folks need it to be that high, but it won’t hurt anything. Some regular chlorine pools get as high as yours just from using bleach over time. (Sodium Hyperchlorite). Your only real concern at 4400 is the taste. You can lower your levels as far as you’d like with draining. It’s an even percentage. A 50% drain would leave you with 2200 and so on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.