Taylor kit, but with only the chlorine, pH and CYA tests?

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I'm curious if I'm the only one that barely uses most of my K-2006 kits and if there's a miniature kit out there with only what I actually use.

To be specific most of my uses are with the R-0004 for pH and then the R-0870 and R-0871 for chlorine.
On a rare occasional I'll bust out the ol' R-0013 for my CYA test.

I've owned three K-2006's so far (the first one was the C size) and almost all of it goes in the garbage.

I'm guessing I'm going to end up buying another big "E" bottle of R-0013, a big bottle of R-0871 and then just use a custom bin or something to haul it around in. It looks like Taylor sells new smaller bottles etc.

Curious to see how you do your testing and what you've found that works for you? I know some on here use auto stirrers etc, I'm curious what else exists that I don't know about.

So really, the only test you might not use is CH (calcium hardness). The OTO is good to have as a check if the FAS-DPD gives you a funky result.

What you say is why the TF100 has various sized reagents. More of what you use, less of what you likely use less.

So really, the only test you might not use is CH (calcium hardness). The OTO is good to have as a check if the FAS-DPD gives you a funky result.

What you say is why the TF100 has various sized reagents. More of what you use, less of what you likely use less.

The CH and the acid demand etc I never really used.
The TA on a rare occasion. I actually don't know how often I used that eithe

The TF100 is actually looking better these days though, I like that it comes with a huge bottle of the R-0013...
I wish it came with more R-0871 .

This isn't good @mknauss I'm trying to slim down my kit and you've got me over here looking at the TF100 with a speedstir, the ph meter and borate strips. How does this even happen!?

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
You have the box, tftestkits.net sells reagent refill kits every March. You don’t need to keep purchasing the full kit. Check them out.

Oh, since I have a SWG and quartz (plaster) finish, I use everything in my K-2006C kit. I’ve paid for it, so I use all the tests, all the time. Well some of the time. It makes me feel I am getting my moneys worth.

Reactions: cj133 and Newdude
You have the box, tftestkits.net sells reagent refill kits every March. You don’t need to keep purchasing the full kit. Check them out.

Oh, since I have a SWG and quartz (plaster) finish, I use everything in my K-2006C kit. I’ve paid for it, so I use all the tests, all the time. Well some of the time. It makes me feel I am getting my moneys worth.

The price is really nice but the fact it says it won't fit in a k2006 case is a deal breaker.

I also like a new comparator.

I'm really curious why they sell 1oz bottles instead of the 0.75 and 2oz that Taylor supplies?

I have the tf100 xl option, the tf100 box fits the larger r0871 bottle & the speed stir, I leave it in the box when testing. I use very little of the ta reagents except upon startup of my pool or spa (my ta is almost always exactly the same) & basically none of the ch reagents (cuz I have no ch & don’t want any lol 😂).
I like that it’s flat so it fits in my available storage space.
0ADAEA6E-2570-45F0-A036-50A0D6BEECD6.jpeg867FC4FA-DABB-4198-B0C2-0D386EFA505F.jpeg
I have larger bottles of r0871 & cya reagent that I use to refill my kit bottles. With a pool & a hot tub I use enough of both that they don’t go bad. All those, salt test kit, borate strips, Ahhsome & other extra reagents live in the bucket along with literally everything else pool like extra weir doors, skimmer baskets, skimmer socks. I don’t have an attached garage so the laundry closet in my kitchen is my storage space for things I need on a regular basis.
7150F499-65DD-43EC-865D-82CFE156558A.jpeg
152C1F0B-0C67-4E37-89ED-AA6E736AAE7D.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Btw - I am a new recruit to the speed stir fan club, I was led to the dark side by @Newdude . I was a hardcore old school swirler..
I am proud to say I am now a reformed swirler. 🤣😂
If it dies I would probably immediately order a new one, the light makes all the difference for me.

• Love
Reactions: cj133 and Newdude
Here's what I do -

I use a K-1004 for daily/frequent testing. The color comparator is good enough for me when I use it with the #9056 comparator block. I can either use their midget comparator for pH or grab a bottle of R-0004 for cheap to use with the #9056 block.

Here-s the HACK - the R-0001/R-0002 mixture creates the same pink color solution that the R-0870 powder does but it can't read as high without bleaching out (anything over 10ppm FC and you can potentially bleach out the mixture but I have found it's good up to about 12ppm or so). The R-0871 FAS titrant works just the same and the #9056 comparator block volume on the FC side is 9.5mL which is close enough for 10mL. So, if you titrate the R-0001/R-0002 mix with the R-0871 FAS titrant, then you will get, approximately, 0.5ppm/drop. So you can still get an accurate reading if you don't like to color compare.

The K-1004 kit costs about $35. You can buy the R-0013 for cheap too. With that and some R-0871, you basically have the K-2006 WITHOUT the CH test.

• Love
Reactions: cj133
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.