Taylor K-1567 Calcium Hardness Test Question

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
Being colorblind, the calcium test kit that comes with the TFT-100 is impossible to use. I noticed that Taylor has the K-1567 kit that goes from red to blue which is easy to use. The only potential caveat is that it's measuring calcium hardness as CaCO3. Is it a simple matter of converting the results from the K-1567 to pure calcium by multiplying by 0.4? Or is the TFT kit also measuring calcium hardness?

Saturn94

Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
Thanks. I'll try that.
Did you have any luck with it? This is also the most difficult test for me.

Fortunately, with a vinyl liner and low CH fill water, I really don’t have to use that test. However, at spring opening this year I needed to use cal-hypo (chlorine scarce) and needed to to know how much I could add without raising CH too much.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I am waiting for that answer, too. I don't know this but I think you can still perceive a color CHANGE regardless of the hue.

Red-green color blindness
The most common type of color blindness makes it hard to tell the difference between red and green.
There are 4 types of red-green color blindness:
  • Deuteranomaly is the most common type of red-green color blindness. It makes green look more red. This type is mild and doesn’t usually get in the way of normal activities.
  • Protanomaly makes red look more green and less bright. This type is mild and usually doesn’t get in the way of normal activities.
  • Protanopia and deuteranopia both make you unable to tell the difference between red and green at all.
Blue-yellow color blindness
This less-common type of color blindness makes it hard to tell the difference between blue and green, and between yellow and red.
There are 2 types of blue-yellow color blindness:
  • Tritanomaly makes it hard to tell the difference between blue and green, and between yellow and red.
  • Tritanopia makes you unable to tell the difference between blue and green, purple and red, and yellow and pink. It also makes colors look less bright.

Saturn94

Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
On this test I struggle seeing the transition from purple to blue. Even watching the test performed on YouTube I don’t see the transition.

Years ago Ben from PF helped me come up with a way that helps some. It involves making the color more saturated and using a second sample tube for comparison.

I‘m just glad I rarely need to do this test.