Tax incentives for solar pool heating - true?

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,
I recently heard from an architect friend of mine (who is "green building certified," whatever that means :lol: ) that pool solar systems qualify for up to 70% tax credits. I know it depends on the area, but have any of you ever heard/experienced this? They are trying to get their HOA to install solar on the community pool, since most of the residents are too lazy to put the solar cover on.

I know that photovoltaic panels qualify for substantial tax breaks in most areas, but I've never heard of them applying to solar pool heating. After hanging around this forum for the last year or so, I thought if that was true I would have heard something about it. Thanks!

Unless it is a state deal, all of the federal tax credits are listed here. Solar PV and Solar Hot Water (home) are listed but solar for pool is not. Here is the note for the hot water solar:

Note: The credit is not available for expenses for swimming pools or hot tubs. The water must be used in the dwelling.

Also, looking through this site, the Arizona programs also exclude solar pool.

They have a similar program here in Canada, except the system has to be installed by a "certified" solar heating contractor of which there is scant few listed in my area and the rebate wouldn't even begin to cover their labor and unreal list price markup on the products. I felt the program was really a make work program for the dealers with nearly no benefit to the home owner because you would be paying list price for everything under the program, I sourced the same solar tube panels I was interested in from the mfg for 1/4 the list price including delivery!

Pretty disappointing. :cry:

Mas985, thanks for the link.

Looks like pool solar actually is eligible for a tax credit (Residential Solar and Wind Energy Systems Tax Credit) of 25% of the system cost, up to $1000. Non-residential credit is 10% of the system cost, up to $25,000. All sales tax is also refunded (Solar and Wind Equipment Sales Tax Exemption). This is for Arizona only. Installation cost is included in system cost.

Not quite enough to make me jump out and do it, but certainly worth pointing out for those who may be considering installing solar in Arizona.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.