Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have ordered replacement DPD powder.
OTO is not accurate[I know] but on opening I have added 10 litres of Hypochlorite 10.8% liquid - over 2 days.
Pool is fairly clear, and I do have enough DPD for maybe 2 more tests.
Our fill water is pretty good. 40 CH / 40 TA / PH 7.4
I had to remove about a foot of water and I did it from the top.
After mixing [circulating] Temp 52°F PH 7.4 / OTO CH 5 plus / TA 60 / CYA 30 / CH 75 / Borates I can't test but last year they were 50
What is the real deal on TA. Pool math says I need 1500g more baking Soda

I have the new values with the DPD powder. Temp 56°F / PH 7.5 / CL 3.5 / TA 70 / CH 75 / CYA 30 / Borates 40 / Phosphates 282.

I went to a pool store to get the Borate and phosphate values. They also supplied my other values and as expected they differ from mine. Their values are CYA 26 / PH 7.7 / TA 85 / CH 91 CL 4 Yes they wanted to sell me Calcium, Cyuranic acid and something to raise TA. I resisted.

I am going to run Trichlor as I can tolerate a small boost in CYA and it won't hurt to increase acid. It will take a couple weeks to dissolve [56°F] so I will also be adding 1/2 litre of hypochlorite 10.8%. I won't add any CH or TA.
The water is sparkling bluish.
Now I need heat.

TA is fine at 70. The tabs might cause the pH to lower so keep an eye on it. If you chlorinate with tabs mostly (not recommended due to CYA raising too high) you could keep the TA higher but for just a few tabs it should be fine to keep TA around 70. If you notice pH is lowering switch back to bleach or raise the TA a bit.

I am wanting to raise CYA maybe 10 points, so I am using stabilized chlorine for that purpose. Also my Calcium is only 75 so I can also use Cal Hypo. I will mostly use hypochlorite liquid 10.8% after that. I do test PH dailly.
Today I put the solar cover on and turned on the heat pump. We will get 4 or 5 warm days and I want to take advantage to raise the temp.

Last edited:
As long as you know how much CYA the tabs are adding and you keep track of it (and maybe test now and then to verify your math) it should be fine. And you're checking pH to make sure the acidic tabs don't cause it to go down too much. You know to keep an eye on CH for the cal-hypo so you're good there too. Sounds like you're in good shape! :)

I was in good shape. Last night the pollen came. Wind came. Organics from trees came. And my Chlorine went. When I test ed for PH I also tested for CL and OTO was clear - no CL and a touch hazy. I didn't bother with FAS DPD. I was expecting CL 3.5.
So into the pool by the return near the deep end - 10 litres of hypochlorite 10.8% and Borox to bring PH up to 7.5 from 7.2.
I suppose trying to heat the pool and leaving the solar cover on for 7 days without a breather didn't help. Pool is 85°F.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool was leaking. Lost a couple inches. Bypassing leak - in heater. Temp dropped to 74°F
CYA 30 , TA 80, FC 5, CC 0, PH 7.6, CH 125, Borates 70-80, Phosphates 160 [measured by pool store]
As Dustin suggested, My PH was dropping. I used Borax to raise it but now borate levels are 70-80
Should I worry about that. I won't use Borax to raise PH anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.