Tape marks and metal pins sticking out from cantilever coping.

Apr 18, 2018
Lakewood, OH
We’re (finally) at the end of our pool construction. It’s been slow going, but overall I’m pretty happy with the construction. Equipment pad is a little funky in terms of where the outlets were placed, but whatever...

They finished pouring the deck and cantilever coping. They used the styrofoam molds with pins and plumb strip. They came back to remove them the next day and it generally looks pretty good, but the sharp ends of the pins stick out in places and you can see the tape marks at the seems. It’s also not smooth around the perimeter, there are horizontal “lines” around the perimeter, I suspect from the molds.

Based on my research, they should have pulled the forms while the cement was still slightly wet and worked it to smooth the edge. They should have carried the relief joints down as well.

I haven’t brought this up to my builder, yet, because I wanted to get some opinions. Perhaps he is already planning on “finishing” it. I plan on asking tomorrow..

My question: Can the coping be smoothed out using a rub brick or angle grinder? Can we flatten/smooth the pins with that and then possibly use mastic or something else to fill the pin holes and any depressions?

Not looking for perfection, but the seams bother me.

Also, does anything need to be done with the plumb strip? Leave it? Cut it off?

Photos of the worst areas attached.

Attachments

• AC91725B-A184-4B44-9AC0-9A68A44EBB5F.jpeg
    AC91725B-A184-4B44-9AC0-9A68A44EBB5F.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 657D79F0-085B-4806-89B5-09B0A22EE26A.jpeg
    657D79F0-085B-4806-89B5-09B0A22EE26A.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for confirming my concerns. Do you think it can be cosmetically corrected? I would really hate to tear it all out if there are other options.

He can try grinding areas to smooth it. See how well that looks before you rip it out.

Tarp your pool as grinding will drop a big mess in your water which will be tough to filter and clear. Try and keep as much concrete dust as possible out of the water.

No way to fix other than patch and use a cool deck type product. There is no way to leave the forms on it doesn't work like that. As you stated they pull forms and work the edge. The control joints are fine not all the way down but it's nice to run a line a foot back from coping to make coping look like pieces and use offset control lines in there. Not horrible overall but this was easy to do right they were 90% there already. I dont get why people do this

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I can live with it if they were able to smooth out the tape marks a bit, because it generally looks pretty good other that.

Do you think cutting control joints (so they continue down) is worth the risk of causing damage to the coping / pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.