Tank expanding

danman

Sep 5, 2016
Spring, Tx
What's up guys, so I just noticed while doing some maintenance on my pool, that when I turn my pump on, my cartridge tank slightly expands, and shutting it off, it returns to where it was. My pressure seems normal about 20-21. I've never seen it do this before, any ideas?

Danny, what model filter do you have? Please add it to your signature.

Post a pic of your filter. Have you looked carefully to confirm no cracks?

Dan,

Does the tank actual expand or does the top just lift up a little bit???

Show us a pic of the band that connects the top to the bottom, right where the nut and bolt come together..

Do you use a rubber hammer to ensure the clamp is tight or just tighten the nut??

PS.. Time to get a VS pump... my filter pressure is about 1 lb... :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

All tanks expand when the pump is turned on.

It's not always noticeable, but it always happens.

Your pump is way too big unless you need that much power for some reason.

What's downstream from the filter?

Do you need that much power?

If not, you should switch to a variable speed pump.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Hey guys, sorry I'm so late in replying. let me try to answer everything.
@Jimrahbe the top just lifts a little bit, I feel like it I see it expand out but it's probably just going up. I also see the bottom where the inlet is visibly move up a bit as well. I can get a pic once I get home, and I do not use a mallet. I have just always positioned it and tightened it.

@JamesW This pump was here when we bought the home 3 years ago, So I don't know why the original owners installed it. I have a water feature that runs, and it pushes that as well as the jets etc when it's going, and pressure drops during that time. So down stream, as mentioned the Water feature, and a pool sweep, but it has it's own small booster pump.

The plan is once this one goes out to look at the VS Pumps and buy the one that makes the most sense. I'll try and get a video too later.

Dan,

I use a rubber mallet to make sure the band is tight all the way around.. After I tighten the band where it appears tight, if I wack it a few times with the mallet, the band will need to be tightened again.. I have to do this a few times before I am happy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.