Talking with a buddy. Does this sound right?

joshuaj1975

Jun 10, 2022
Mesa Az
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
7cups of 12.5%= 1 tab
(Best comparison I could find)

1 gallon of 12.5%= 2.28 tabs

Usage would be

5 gallons a week

Or

11.4 tabs per week

In 6 weeks I’d use

70 in a 35lbs bucket ($210)8oz tabs

Or

30 gallons ($210)

So it’s a Wash short term I think

I save the tabs for extended absences.

Liquid chlorine turns into water with no effects on any chemistry.

Tabs raise cya (cya dictates how long the chlorine will last) thus needing more tabs and the cycle starts till your pool turns and there’s tabs but nothing happens and you put in a bunch of powdered shock (even more raising cya level) even more accelerating the problem. Then purchasing the pool store fixes(this is how their plan works with tabs)!!

7cups of 12.5%= 1 tab
(Best comparison I could find)

1 gallon of 12.5%= 2.28 tabs

Usage would be

5 gallons a week

Or

11.4 tabs per week

In 6 weeks I’d use

70 in a 35lbs bucket ($210)8oz tabs

Or

30 gallons ($210)

So it’s a Wash short term I think

I save the tabs for extended absences.

Liquid chlorine turns into water with no effects on any chemistry.

Tabs raise cya (cya dictates how long the chlorine will last) thus needing more tabs and the cycle starts till your pool turns and there’s tabs but nothing happens and you put in a bunch of powdered shock (even more raising cya level) even more accelerating the problem. Then purchasing the pool store fixes(this is how their plan works with tabs)!!
If you’re consuming 5 gallons per week, that’s a bit high unless it’s the middle of summer.

1 pound of trichlor (1 tablet) = 4.4ppm FC in your pool (25k gallons)

1 gallon of 12.5% = 5.0ppm FC in your pool.

Clean pools use 2-4ppm FC daily. That should help the math.

It's the downside of a larger pool. It's going to cost you to chlorinate it. Then you live in a hot climate that's much longer than most people's and it's going to cost you, for longer.

A pentair IC60 system is going for $1800 today and will produce 4000 FCs for your 25k gallon pool. That's $0.45 a FC. Next time you won't need the $500 controller so it will be $0.33 a FC.

1 gallon of 10% LC is 4FC for you at

$4 jug = $1 per FC
$5 jug = $1.25 per FC
$6 jug = $1.50 per FC.

1 gal of 12.5% is 5.5 FC

$4 jug = $0.73 per FC
$5 jug = $0.91 per FC
$6 jug = $1.09 per FC

Last edited:
Ummm…. Getting my automatic pool cover refurbished (way cheaper long run than the swg, drops chlorine usage by 90+%, protects from the monsoon Crud and noticed when I did cover it, it brought my temp down 6°,big deal here, when on vacation for a week mid July). Sorry. I thought I posted a comparison question not about my specific issue. Thanks. Was trying to make sure I helped explain a little bit to friends about what my wife describes as a “cult”. Lol. I’ve read and understand the goal I’m trying to achieve. Just trying to help justify/explain my approach to a friend.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.