tadpoles in unfinished pool

quantase

Jun 18, 2018
Central Virginia
My pool is under construction and due to the rain, they are not able to put the plaster on yet. Thus, gunite inground pool has a little water in it and tadpoles are in it now. Should I pour some Clorox bleach in there now to kill them out before they become frogs and lure snakes in? I know the pool people should pump all the water out before plastering, but due to the wet weather, not sure when that will happen. Thanks.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I had frogs in my pool (desert toads actually...we don’t have frogs). They were happy up until plaster day and then they got evicted. No snakes ever showed up for a snack.

I say leave them be as you’re only going to create a stinking smelly mess pouring bleach into stagnant pond water. The tadpole/frogs will eat any mosquitos that show up. It won’t be forever so just use it as a fun learning experience for the kids about tadpoles growing into frogs.

quantase

Jun 18, 2018
Central Virginia
I had frogs in my pool (desert toads actually...we don’t have frogs). They were happy up until plaster day and then they got evicted. No snakes ever showed up for a snack.

I say leave them be as you’re only going to create a stinking smelly mess pouring bleach into stagnant pond water. The tadpole/frogs will eat any mosquitos that show up. It won’t be forever so just use it as a fun learning experience for the kids about tadpoles growing into frogs.

Good point! Thanks!