Thethreetheory77

Apr 8, 2020
Longwood, Florida
My TA is currently at 70. My ph is about 7.6. What is the the ideal TA for a manually chlorinated pool? Tfp says 60-90 but my test kit says 100-120. My daughter is complaining of her nose and eyes itching in the pool and she thinks it’s the chlorine level which is kept between 7 and 10. My cya is 60. I’m not sure which is the issue. The water looks great!

Leave you TA alone. It's perfect. Personally, I would let the FC stay between 5 and 7......you are wasting some chlorine but that has no affect on your daughter's itchy nose and eyes. When did you last test for CC's in your pool?

Leave you TA alone. It's perfect. Personally, I would let the FC stay between 5 and 7......you are wasting some chlorine but that has no affect on your daughter's itchy nose and eyes. When did you last test for CC's in your pool?
I tested cc last month. I can test again today. With it being so hot I am scared to set target at 7 because I am afraid if I lost 3-4 ppm I’ll be too low for my cya?

I tested cc last month. I can test again today. With it being so hot I am scared to set target at 7 because I am afraid if I lost 3-4 ppm I’ll be too low for my cya?
My target is 9 right now and it drops to 7 daily. Sometimes 6.5. I’m so nervous of an abrupt drop to below 5 so I’ve been keeping it higher just in case? Is that a bad idea🤷‍♀️

I don’t see how I’m waisting chlorine

The percentage of loss stays about the same so if you lose, for example, 35% of your chlorine each day, you lose more if you target 9 ppm as opposed to 7 ppm.

Look, if you feel safer, by all means put the FC in there. TFP is a teaching forum where we provide what we have learned and then you do what's best for you and your pool.

Another thought on that same subject.....Algae doesn't suddenly jump up and contaminate your pool because your FC got a little low overnight........It doesn't work like that (although many newbies believe it does). Algae is formed over some time by chronically inadequate chlorine maybe a couple of days in a row but certainly not overnight.

The percentage of loss stays about the same so if you lose, for example, 35% of your chlorine each day, you lose more if you target 9 ppm as opposed to 7 ppm.

Look, if you feel safer, by all means put the FC in there. TFP is a teaching forum where we provide what we have learned and then you do what's best for you and your pool.

Another thought on that same subject.....Algae doesn't suddenly jump up and contaminate your pool because your FC got a little low overnight........It doesn't work like that (although many newbies believe it does). Algae is formed over some time by chronically inadequate chlorine maybe a couple of days in a row but certainly not overnight.
Ah ok. That makes sense. So with a cya of 60 my target should be 7? And what’s the lowest it should go? I just assumed it was a safer bed to over chlorinate lol. Today I lost 3 ppm. Water is incredibly warm and it’s SO hot. I added enough chlorine to bring it to 9. Tomorrow I’ll start dosing for 7 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out the Chlorine/CYA article in Pool School......I think your minimum FC is 5.

3 ppm loss is pretty good in this Florida weather I think maybe it was 212 degrees today in Sebring 😳😳
It was hot as heck today! See, my worry is with targeting my fc at 7 what if I’m seeing a 4-5 ppm loss? That would bring me below the minimum. So then what? Make my target higher?

An option, though more work intensive, is to adjust your chlorine level to target more than once per day. Alternatively, you could set your target as your average or mid-point. For example, you experience a 4 ppm loss per day against a 7 target. Set your once per day target at 9. This gives you a daily FC range of 9 to 5.

An option, though more work intensive, is to adjust your chlorine level to target more than once per day. Alternatively, you could set your target as your average or mid-point. For example, you experience a 4 ppm loss per day against a 7 target. Set your once per day target at 9. This gives you a daily FC range of 9 to 5.
That’s what I’ve been doing is setting my target higher to accommodate for a fc loss of about 4 just in case. I can’t add chlorine multiple times a day as I’m not home to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.