TA Level

Rafalski said:
linen said:
Bring it up as high as you can (21 if you can do it) and do the OCLT.

The both methods for calculating FC levels work, it just that the Chlorine/cya chart is a bit more aggressive.
Wow is this something that can be done with one shock or will have to be done a few times? I cant imagine how expensive this is going to get if I have to shock a few times. I saw 18 lbs of shock needed which is probably about $45 each time if I buy the shock at wallmart, if I buy 12 to 15 gallons of bleach I cant imagine it will be any cheaper .... if I have to repeat a few times we are talknig hundreds of dollars and I cant be spending this kind of money right now.

Do the OCLT first, and if you discover you need to do the shocking process then use bleach/liquid chlorine to do it. Algae outbreaks can be expensive to deal with, especially a pool as big as yours, and that is good motivation to not let it happen again :)

linen said:
Do the OCLT first, and if you discover you need to do the shocking process then use bleach/liquid chlorine to do it. Algae outbreaks can be expensive to deal with, especially a pool as big as yours, and that is good motivation to not let it happen again :)
I am sure you guys hate me by now but no yet has answered my question clearly, and I am still confused on how to complete the OCLT, I do not have enough shock to bring it to shock level, last I checked I had 0 FC, so how do I do OCLT????? I asked couple times if I can do based on my SWG running last few hours, is it even worth testing to see what the FC is now?

As long as your CH level is low ( i think you mentioned that), use that tonight.

Put all 3 lbs in, that should raise you to ~5 ppm, not ideal but it may work. Make sure you let it mix for an hour before you do the evening test. In the morning make sure you test before the sun is back on the pool.

The swg should be off during this.

Post your result tomorrow morning.

And then start using liquid chlorine for the shock process if you have to do it. The powdered chlorines will eventually lead to problems... Plus bleach is cheaper.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thanks guys, I really apprecite all you trying to help and not get frustrated with me, its only my second season with the pool and after getting the test kit towards the end of last season I found my levels were all wrong so really this is the first time I am trying to do this right. Some of these methods are a bit confusing, especially since every place seems to suggest something else :D
On the side note I read that shocking the pool can be done numerous times during the day, I assume I cannot really test the FC drop untill overnight so during the day I am just bringing the pool back to shock level over and over blindly hoping I will do enough for FC to hold later that night? What I mean there is really no way to tell how many times I need to shock it during that day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is the shock process. You raise FC up to shock level as often add you can. Read the article in pool school again. You will get it soon ;)

jblizzle said:
It is the shock process. You raise FC up to shock level as often add you can. Read the article in pool school again. You will get it soon ;)

jblizzle, considering my water is so clear, is it still likely I will have a big problem or rather something that can be quickly fixed? am i possibly in for days of shocking this pool? Only problem at opening was that water in the hot tub was very cloudy (white/grayish color not green) and it stunk really bad, we drained that tub but can that be what used up all the FC on day 1? The pool water was very clean.
I see I will probably need to backwash my filter yet again, I seen DE Media at wallmart and Lowes today, is any DE Media ok for my filter or should I be looking for something specific?

The OCLT will tell you if you need to shock.

The shock process is the same regardless of how bad your pool looks. If it is mostly clean the process will be shorter ... It takes as long as it takes

Just tested the water an hour after adding the 3lbs of shock, took 23 drops to clear the water so looks like 11.5 for FC, then it turned just slightly pink for CC and took 1 drop back to clear so looks like CC is 0.5. Will test again in the morning.

linen said:
That FC level is surprising. Are you sure you had 0 FC before you added? Your 48% cal hypo should have only raised your 34000 gallon pool to about 5 ppm FC.
Checked it twice last time and both times at 0, also TC came at 0. I did have the SWG at 60% for about 3 or 4 hours. Last year when I got the test kit my FC was at 17 with just SWG running for 8 hours a day, do not recall if I already lowered to 40% then or still at 60%. I did run the filter from like 7am to 3pm with solar cover and my pool gets sun for most of the day.

linen said:
How certain are you of your pool volume?
well, I got it off the paperwork that builders supplied to the original owner of the house. Other than that would be hard to to figure out considering its a free form pool with hot tub. I believe its about 22 feet in widest point and about 40 long, about 8 feet on deep end I would say? I measured it last year for the solar cover but do not recall exactly. Not sure if it is any proof but my salt read 1.3 at start up, was told to add 14 bags of salt by shop, also pool calculator said 14 bags to get it to 3.2 for 34000 gallons. I checked today and salt level reads exactly 3.2

I think your volume might be significantly over estimated. For fun I used pool calculator and rectangular form factor 40X22 with an average 5 ft depth and got 33K gallons. You must be significantly less than that if it is irregular in shape.

linen said:
I think your volume might be significantly over estimated. For fun I used pool calculator and rectangular form factor 40X22 with an average 5 ft depth and got 33K gallons. You must be significantly less than that if it is irregular in shape.
dont forget the hot tub is probably another 6 feed wide and 5 feed deep, minus the seating area. I might be wrong and it is 24 wide or long is 42. Also the pool is fairly similar in width, it does curve fairly evenly. I will have to take measurements tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.