TA In Fiberglass Pool

Feb 19, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
We had a fiberglass pool for years until the gel coat started to wear off. We had the pool renovated this past year and the list of instructions for maintaining the pool includes a recommended 170-180 TA. I have NEVER heard of such a thing but this is the same company that coated my previous pool -Shastaglass. I've called them twice (and have it in writing). Can you think of why they recommend such a high TA level. I presume it's a proprietary coating and, as such, am following the installer's instructions but it's driving me crazy. Any one else ever encountered this?

That is odd. I am not sure it is chemically possible to maintain. Your pH would rise so quickly plus the fact in Phoenix you would have a very high CSI with your high CH leading to scaling very quickly.

I doubt you will be successful maintaining that. And I have not read anything on this site that would back them up. I wonder if they know what they are talking about.

I agree, that seems odd. Most builders seem to blurt-out archaic chemical level recommendations, but even that range is higher than most. It would be interesting to know if their technical experts could clarify why they recommend such an elevated range. Have they performed specific testing to justify?

I wonder if it isn't a typo some secretary made and has no clue about pool water chemistry so didn't recognize the error? Have you asked them about this mandate directly?

70-80 is reasonable, 170-180 is absurd.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.