Thethreetheory77

Apr 8, 2020
Longwood, Florida
My TA was 100 about two weeks ago. I tested today and it read 60. I read pool school and I’m assuming this is an acceptable number? What’s the lowest it should go and the highest? Will rain and sun dilute this and that’s why it dropped so much? My ph is 7.5. Sorry for all the questions.

TA works in concert with pH. As you add muriatic acid (or other acidic products) the TA will drop. But eventually your pH should stop rising and if you no longer add an acid, the TA will stop dropping.

If TA drops below 50ppm, it is time to consider adding some baking soda to raise it. But you should also be looking at why are you adding so much acid.

I am using the tf-100. The last time I added acid was a couple to several weeks ago and the ph has stayed at 7.5 since. The TA is dropping. Went from 100 to 60. In the kit it says levels should be 100-120 I believe but in pool school it said 60-80? I am manually chlorinating. I did change my cig yesterday to reflect that I was using the proper kit I don’t know why it’s not showing. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? And, how often should I be keeping an eye on ta? I’m monitoring ph daily and ya every five days or so

If you are not adding acid, the TA will not change. Only other way is to drain a significant amount of pool water and add lower TA water.

Check your TA weekly. Your signature is now correct, thank you.

So, my TA at 60 is fine? Which ideal level is correct because I’m seeing two different numbers in two different areas. Also, the way to raise ta is with baking soda, will that have an effect on ph if I ever need to lower it? I have no issues with the chlorine understanding and I’ve been doing fine with that this far. The ph/TA is where I’m most confused.

So, my TA at 60 is fine? Which ideal level is correct because I’m seeing two different numbers in two different areas. Also, the way to raise ta is with baking soda, will that have an effect on ph if I ever need to lower it? I have no issues with the chlorine understanding and I’ve been doing fine with that this far. The ph/TA is where I’m most confused.
I meant using baking soda to raise it not lower it

Which ideal level is correct because I’m seeing two different numbers in two different areas.

Do not try to mix TFP levels with Pool Store or other levels. You will be very confused.

Baking soda will raise TA. It will have nominal effect on pH. Poolmath provides approximate level changes when you enter the data.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Do not try to mix TFP levels with Pool Store or other levels. You will be very confused.

Baking soda will raise TA. It will have nominal effect on pH. Poolmath provides approximate level changes when you enter the data.
Thanks for the reply. I was mixing numbers from the pool store. In the tf kit is said ta should be 60-90 I believe and in pool school it had a higher threshold. I’m just trying to find out what ta levels are correct for my pool. The only thing I use the pool store for is their LC

The correct TA level for your pool is the one it decides it needs to keep your pH as steady as possible. Do not focus on a number.

I use the TF-100 kit. Since the day I started using it my TA has been 40. It's been 3 years and it's always 40. Which is great because my PH usually stays at 7.5 and barely moves. So 40 works great for me
Thanks! I guess it’s adjusting itself because my ph hasn’t moved in a couple weeks but the ta has gone down and seems to be floating around 60. Question: is it better to add chemicals in the evening when the sun sets? Ive been adding in the morning before the sun hits the pool but my kids are swimming after the heavy UV ray hours (usually around 4 through the evening) so I adjusted the pump to run from 1-8 pm instead of morning to afternoon. I figure I can put chemicals in around 6 instead and the pump will still have a couple hours run time.

TA works in concert with pH. As you add muriatic acid (or other acidic products) the TA will drop. But eventually your pH should stop rising and if you no longer add an acid, the TA will stop dropping.

If TA drops below 50ppm, it is time to consider adding some baking soda to raise it. But you should also be looking at why are you adding so much acid.
I have been asking myself that question for a year now! Why am I adding so much acid....don’t worry, I posted my own thread....couldn’t help myself!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.