TA and Baking Soda

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
So my TA is at 60 and wanted to bump it up a touch to 70. I dilligently added 12 oz of baking soda to a bucket and added some water, mixed and spread. I test this evening and was stumped as to why my TA didn't budge. Still showing 60.

Last edited:

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Biggest question is...why do you want to bump it up. Is your ph unstable where it is?

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
Biggest question is...why do you want to bump it up. Is your ph unstable where it is?
That's a good question. My pH was at 8+ this morning, I treated with acid and is showing 7.5 now. I just assumed I wanted it to be in the middle of the "ideal" range on Pool Math which is 70.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
My ph is stable for at LEAST a week at TA of 50. Lower to 7.2 instead of trying to chase 7.5 when it rises. Every pool is diferent. Find your happy spot. Guidelines are guidelines...not absolutes.

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
My ph is stable for at LEAST a week at TA of 50. Lower to 7.2 instead of trying to chase 7.5 when it rises. Every pool is diferent. Find your happy spot. Guidelines are guidelines...not absolutes.
So you're suggesting a lower pH and a longer period of time for it to rise and subsequent treatment? And is a week of stable pH standard?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.