TA Always High/ How to Lower it???

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Just out of curiosity, my TA has always been 180 and I want to bring it down. How would I do that? I completed my SLAM last week (give or take), and I checked my TA level and it remained at 180. I'm not sure how to get this within range. :confused:

FC Free Chlorine 3 – 7 ppm7.5
CC Combined Chlorine<=0.50.5
pH7.2 – 7.87.5
CYA Cyanuric Acid Stabilizer30 – 5040
TA Total Alkalinity50 – 90+180
CH Calcium Hardness (optional):0 – 350 don’t add80

If your pH is steady with that high of TA, assume yourself lucky.

CSI is calculated by PoolMath, either the link above or the App you can download. It is not really applicable to your pool as it is vinyl and your CH is very low (but OK).

Take care.

Ok! My husband thinks I don't understand what you mean by this. I started and he said that this is not what you meant... could you explain what you mean by the statement below? What's a "fill water"?

Test TA in your fill water.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advise mknauss. I guess I'm lucky...for now....keeping my fingers crossed.

If your pH is steady with that high of TA, assume yourself lucky.

CSI is calculated by PoolMath, either the link above or the App you can download. It is not really applicable to your pool as it is vinyl and your CH is very low (but OK).

Take care.

Fill water is what water source you fill your pool with. Is it city water, water well, trucked in, fire hydrant, etc.

It is good to run a test of the TA, pH, and CH of the water you use to fill your pool with. That way when you top up your pool from evaporation, splash out, or backwashing of the sand filter, you know what effects to your chemistry your fill water will make.

Ohhhh. got it. Thanks mknauss.

Fill water is what water source you fill your pool with. Is it city water, water well, trucked in, fire hydrant, etc.

It is good to run a test of the TA, pH, and CH of the water you use to fill your pool with. That way when you top up your pool from evaporation, splash out, or backwashing of the sand filter, you know what effects to your chemistry your fill water will make.

Mandy do you wipe the tip of R-0009 with damp cloth or damp paper towel before first drop and after each drop?

This procedure ensures reliable testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks... I just read it....my pH has been steady at a 7.5...I guess I can keep monitoring it to make sure it does not raise. I'm not sure how to calculate CSI at all... I've always wondered how to calculate this. I must be missing the PoolSchool that explains this in depth.

That sounds like you have very little aeration =)

ph-aerate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.