Switching to Bleach

Jun 17, 2012
Howard City, MI
After the wonderful advice I have received on this site from many members, I am switching to bleach to chlorinate my pool.

Few questions before I begin:

1) I know we are suppose to use 6% bleach, but all I currently have on hand is 3%. Will this be sufficient for now until I get to the store? If so, do I add the same amount of the 3% that I would use of the 6%?

2) Do I add the bleach directly to the pool water? I am concerned about ruining my liner.

Pool Info:Pro Series Metal Frame 18' x 48"
SFS1000 Filter System w/ F1500C Pump (skimmer filter system)

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Terrjam said:
After the wonderful advice I have received on this site from many members, I am switching to bleach to chlorinate my pool.

Few questions before I begin:

1) I know we are suppose to use 6% bleach, but all I currently have on hand is 3%. Will this be sufficient for now until I get to the store? If so, do I add the same amount of the 3% that I would use of the 6%?

2) Do I add the bleach directly to the pool water? I am concerned about ruining my liner.

Pool Info:Pro Series Metal Frame 18' x 48"
SFS1000 Filter System w/ F1500C Pump (skimmer filter system)

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

If the bleach is 3%, you would double it. The Pool Calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com/ does not have the ability to calculate for 3% in the Effects of Adding Chemicals part, but you can plug in current and target values using 3% bleach at the top of the page. I am not familiar with 3% bleach. You might want to make sure that is just sodium hypochlorite and the inert ingredients and no other ingredients like whatever they use to make "Fresh Scent" or "Lavender" or something like that.

I don't think bleach would do anything to your liner if you add it slowly in front of a return jet. It will dissipate reasonably quickly. Maybe one of the experts has a different point of view on that?

Terrjam said:

Use the pool calculator to determine how much to put in. Just change the percentage to 3%.

As for adding bleach, pour it slowly in front of the return jet with the pump running. It will mix just fine.

Not an expert, but that's where you put the bleach. Just pour it slowly in front of the pool return jet, and that'll mix it into the water really quick!

If you pour it somewhere else, it'll just sink to the bottom and sit on your liner until it gets mixed up. That's what you want to avoid.

The 3% bleach is OK as a temporary solution, but it usually has much more excess lye in it per FC so could make the pH in the pool rise than it would with either 6% Clorox Regular or some off-brand Ultra bleaches. This isn't a problem, of course, and you can easily compensate with Muriatic Acid, but you should be aware of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.