Switching from SWG to Chlorine ready to start up!

Syoung42

Jun 3, 2017
Las Vegas Nevada
  • The size of your pool in gallons: 13000
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) In ground
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass: Plaster/pebbletec
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge): cartridge
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.: Hayward
  • List other known details of the pump - Horsepower, Single speed, 2 Speed or Variable Speed :
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • List what test kit you use to test your water: Ill either buy one here or Walmart or both
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions: will fill from hose

I need help getting started guys! My pool is empty(I had it cleaned) and this will be my first time going the chlorine route. Once the pool is full where do I start? What supplies should I go buy right now and which can I order and wait for?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
Hate to ask, but why would you switch from a SWCG adding your chlorine each day to you having to dump in liquid chlorine each day??
First is to order a proper test kit. Only available on line. Either the Taylor K2006C or the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Be sure to get a Speedstir.
You will need stabilizer, enough for 50 ppm CYA, muriatic acid, and liquid chlorine. Start with at least 10 gallons. You will be using at least a half gallon of 10% liquid chlorine EVERY DAY.

Please take all that information you posted and Create Your Signature - Further Reading
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: PointeTaken

PointeTaken

Aug 28, 2019
Hoover, AL
  • The size of your pool in gallons: 13000
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) In ground
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass: Plaster/pebbletec
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge): cartridge
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.: Hayward
  • List other known details of the pump - Horsepower, Single speed, 2 Speed or Variable Speed :
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • List what test kit you use to test your water: Ill either buy one here or Walmart or both
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions: will fill from hose

I need help getting started guys! My pool is empty(I had it cleaned) and this will be my first time going the chlorine route. Once the pool is full where do I start? What supplies should I go buy right now and which can I order and wait for?
I’m curious why the switch to straight chlorine? Plenty of people go from chlorine to SWCG but I don’t know that I’ve encountered anyone doing the opposite except for when their cell or control bites the dust. If you’ve already invested in a SWCG and it works, it makes little fiscal sense to switch to $50+ worth of bleach per month (let alone the hassle). You may have a perfectly good reason, but we’re all about looking out for one another here so want to be sure you understand what you’re signing up for.

Syoung42

Jun 3, 2017
Las Vegas Nevada
I’m curious why the switch to straight chlorine? Plenty of people go from chlorine to SWCG but I don’t know that I’ve encountered anyone doing the opposite except for when their cell or control bites the dust. If you’ve already invested in a SWCG and it works, it makes little fiscal sense to switch to $50+ worth of bleach per month (let alone the hassle). You may have a perfectly good reason, but we’re all about looking out for one another here so want to be sure you understand what you’re signing up for.
Board is burned out and a costly repair. Salt cells every few years, I dont know

Reactions: PointeTaken