Switching from a cartridge to sand filter

Aug 5, 2018
Dickson/TN
I am about to order a sand filter for my above ground pool since my cartridge filter has a cracked ring. Plus I'd like the easier maintenance of the sand filter. Which sand filter should I get for my 18x34 pool? I have a Hayward Power Flo Variable 1.5 hp pump.

the biggest one you can afford... How much does water cost where you live? they can use 100 to 500 gallons of water for every backwash...

The Tr100 is a nice size one and will handle just about anything...

1622490437553.png

For the pump you have I'd want a 250lb minimum. A 300 pound would be nice if it's in the budget.

The ones Cowboycasey posted look fancier than what I'm used to (just typical Hayward above ground sand filters) but he's right, that TR100 would flow really good and wouldn't need to be backwashed often.

For the pump you have I'd want a 250lb minimum. A 300 pound would be nice if it's in the budget.

The ones Cowboycasey posted look fancier than what I'm used to (just typical Hayward above ground sand filters) but he's right, that TR100 would flow really good and wouldn't need to be backwashed often.
Which filter do you have? I see your signature says 23" 250 lb filter.

remember sand filters are easy but they use lots of water and do not clean down to cart levels of clear... just know that going into it and you will be good :)
I've yet to see proof they do not clean down as far as anything else as far as real life results.
I know what people say, but, people say a lot of things.

Maybe I'm crazy but to me a sand filter is more than fine enough for a swimming pool and a DE simply isn't worth the work.

But, to each their own.

Last edited:
Which filter do you have? I see your signature says 23" 250 lb filter.
I have a Hayward 23" filter that came part of a set with a 1.5HP 2 speed Matrix pump.
I don't think it can be bought separate for whatever reason.

I am about to order a sand filter for my above ground pool since my cartridge filter has a cracked ring. Plus I'd like the easier maintenance of the sand filter.
Really? what can be easier than hosing off the filter once or twice a season? It got even easier for me when I got a second set of cartridges.... just swap them out, hose them off at your leisure. Will you have to do a lot of re=plumbing to accommodate a sand filter over what was there for your cartridge?

I've yet to see proof they do not clean down as far as anything else as far as real life results.
I know what people say, but, people say a lot of things.

Maybe I'm crazy but to me a sand filter is more than fine enough for a swimming pool and a DE simply isn't worth the work.

But, to each their own.
The interesting part of that is you are correct.. most of the time it is night shots with lights on that you notice it.. But a sand filter can have DE added to it and filter way better than a cart filter can.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The interesting part of that is you are correct.. most of the time it is night shots with lights on that you notice it.. But a sand filter can have DE added to it and filter way better than a cart filter can.. :)

Speaking of filters etc.

Why don't they make cartridge filters backwashable? Just reverse the flow, wouldn't it blow most of the stuff off of the filter the same as taking it out and rinsing it by hand?

Reactions: Earthman Bob
Really? what can be easier than hosing off the filter once or twice a season? It got even easier for me when I got a second set of cartridges.... just swap them out, hose them off at your leisure. Will you have to do a lot of re=plumbing to accommodate a sand filter over what was there for your cartridge?
I don’t see any reason a sand filter would require a lot of re- plumbing. You have a line from pump and a line to pool.

Same. I've had both sand filters and cartridge filters. I would choose *a properly sized* cartridge filter every time.

Reactions: Hangman and Newdude
I have to hose my cartridge filter more than once or twice a season. I have trees behind my pool and they cause more work. Plumbing will also be easy.

Doesn't a sand filter require a backwash line to somewhere?
@Romero14 , put a hairnet on your skimmer basket to catch the crud before it gets to your filter. ;)
I knew this would stir the pot:stirpot:
Lol, you troublemaker!

I agree with hairnet. And I don’t have a backwash line plumbed in. On the rare occasions that I need to backwash, I use one of these. Easy easy.

It’s not fair to ask 200 sq ft cartridges to clear a heavy debris load. You can go 250% larger than that and they would spank the largest sand filter in every way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.