Switching 2 way-valve to check valve

Jun 23, 2016
Millville, NJ
Good Afternoon:

I have an extra pump that provides water for 2 deck jets and is pre-plumbed to add a slide in the future. However, on the suction side of the pump, the pool builder added a 3 way valve. I think they should've put a check-valve in this spot. Is it hard to swap out the "guts" of the valve and replace it with a check-valve"? Take a look at the attached picture and let me know if you see a reason for this type of valve in this spot. The pool equipment is elevated over the pool.

20170717_-_Check_Valve_Question.jpg

E,

Normally no valve is "needed" in front of the pump. In most cases a check valve, or manual valve, in front of the pump will keep the pump from draining back into the pool when you take the pump basket lid off...

But... if your pool level is above the pump then the opposite will happen.. You would close the valve to prevent water from flowing out of the pool. If you replace the manual valve with a check valve how would it ever work??

If you put it in to prevent backflow from the pool, then it would never allow water to flow into the pump when the pump was on.. If you put it in the other way, it would work when the pump was on , but not prevent water from flowing back from the pool when the pump basket was open.

Make it easy on yourself and just keep the manual valve that you have.

Thanks for posting.

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the feedback. It is definitely the 1st case - The pump is higher than the level of the pool and I think it drains back into the pool. Is that only supposed to happen when the pump lid comes off?

Do you think there's a reason the valve is there? How is it supposed to be used?

Eric

Eric,

Sorry I misread your initial post...

If the equipment is higher than the pool, when the pump lid is removed, then gravity takes over and the water will drain back into the pool. Think how a straw works when you put your thumb over the top of the straw... With your thump in place, the water stays in the straw.. remove your thumb (pump lid) and all the water flows right out.

In a well operating plumbing set up, there are no air leaks, so when you shut off the pump, water should stay in the "straw"... If you have an air leak, the water will drain back into the pool. The valve comes in handy when you don't want the water to drain back into the pool when you take the pump lid off.

With your equipment above the pool level you could replace the manual valve with a check valve, I just don't see a great advantage.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

They just don't seem to be working as quickly as last year and I'm trying to troubleshoot. Last year, both deck jets came on as soon as I pushed the button to start the pump. This year, it seems to take a minute before one comes on and then the other takes another minute or two to "charge" up. It will dribble out and then shut off for a second before coming back slowly to the correct height. I thought it may be caused by water draining back into the pool and the pump having to "recharge" itself.

I used to be able to wait for a kid to walk in front of it and then hit the button to shoot them with water. I can't do that anymore and it's ruining my fun!

e,

I hate it when that happens.. :p

What you describe does sound like your pump is having to prime... so I would suspect an air leak.

The most likely place for this to occur is at the pump lid O-Ring. I would take it out and inspect it and lube it up with pool lube. Reinstall and see if the problem goes away.

You should have your kid push the button while you look through the pump lid and determine if the pump is having to suck a lot of air before the water starts flowing smoothly or not..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.