Switched to SWG

s_dubb

May 24, 2019
South West, Arizona
Here goes, last year and my first year I was able to keep my pool algae free, with your help and my test kit. This year I said to heck with buying chlorine and dumping everyday. Pool company installed IC40, I thought this year will be super easy. I’m fighting algae all over the walls like crazy. My pump is running from 9pm-9am (12hrs) at 100% and it is producing chlorine. I know it’s working because when I check my chlorine levels they are at 6 using my drop test. Any help greatly appreciated.
TC 6
FC 6
Ph 7.5
CYA 70
Salt 3000

What percentage is the cell running? It might not be producing as much as you think if turned down too low?

Do you brush now and then to keep any algae disrupted and into circulation?

After you get rid of the algae, consider taking your FC up a notch or two.

Maddie

huh. That's really odd. Capture some water directly from the return and test the FC. It should test higher than the rest of the pool's water.

Are you sure your digital equipment is set up right? Its set for the IC40cell and not some other size,right? <--just tossing darts out there...feeling clueless....

I’m fighting algae all over the walls like crazy.
dubb,

Not sure why you ended up here but I'm sure there's a good explanation like you got low on FC or CYA was too high before you switched to salt or something. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM the pool. Follow the SLAM process to completion. Then when you pass all the criteria for completion the algae will stop. Just maintain the proper FC level plus other maintenance requirements and it won't come back.

I hope this helps.

Chris

dubb,

Not sure why you ended up here but I'm sure there's a good explanation like you got low on FC or CYA was too high before you switched to salt or something. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM the pool. Follow the SLAM process to completion. Then when you pass all the criteria for completion the algae will stop. Just maintain the proper FC level plus other maintenance requirements and it won't come back.

I hope this helps.

Chris
I worked all last year to get my CYA down to 30 from the 200 + that it was at when we purchased the home. So this year after the salt cell was added I have slowly been bringing the CYA up to where I am at now 70. I dont have any CC and never had to deal with CC last year and even now. Now with the salt cell I do have FC and have never had 0 FC. I am working on the SLAM process now as I purchased a bunch of chlorine to get me started for the SLAM.
How do I go about shutting down the salt cell?
I am still trying to understand the whole raise the CYA up now that I am running the SWG.
Also trying to learn "Pool Math" for FC now that I am running the SWG instead of dumping Chlorine

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is just a tad smaller than yours. I installed the same cell this year as well. I live in AR and it has been running around 88-90 degrees everyday and my pool is in full sun from 8:30 until sundown. I run my pump for 10 hours a day with my cell at 60% and I am maintaining my chlorine @ 10 with swimmers everyday.

I think a SLAM is needed and then you should be able to maintain.

Reactions: s_dubb
As Maddie indicates, just turn it off. Nothing more needed. SLAM won't hurt it. Just don't run it during the SLAM because it makes it hard to figure out how much chlorine you're consuming.

I'm not sure exactly why salt pools require more CYA but they do. I'm sure it has to do with the affect of salt on the interaction of CYA and FC.

So, it's great you have your CYA just right for salt. Just do the complete SLAM and you'll have this algae gone. Then you can just let your FC drop down to a little over target as you start your swg. Start with the settings you can get from Pool Math using the following procedure:
  • Open Pool Math
  • Click on "Effects of Adding" on top left bars
  • Select "SWG" for chemical added
  • Select "calculate FC added"
  • Then use the magnifier to select your brand and model chlorinator
  • Then set % power to 50%
  • Adjust runtime to 8 hrs
  • See how many ppm are added,
Make adjustments on % power and run time to get about 2.5 ppm. This should be your starting settings. Check your FC levels next 2 days each day. If your FC changes two days in a row increase or decrease runtime. If it moves a lot adjust runtime 5% then tweak runtime. It wont' take two long. When you get it right you'll find FC cycles up and down a few ppm based on how sunny, rainy or swimming load. Then just watch it work. Soon you'll find you just check FC/CC/pH a couple times per week.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I was able to SLAM and pass the OCLT test and the algae is gone, which is great, now I just need to figure out what I should be running my salt cell at and for how long. Are most running it when the sun is out? I run mine during off peak hours (night time 9pm-9am) to save money but maybe I’m doing it wrong? My pool is in direct sunlight all day and in have a golden retriever that swims everyday along with myself and kids. Temps here are usually over 100 degrees Fahrenheit

Generating chlorine only at night may be your problem. During the heat of the day, the sun is consuming what FC is left in the pool to the point that it gets dangerously low until your SWG kicks on at 9pm. Try running it during the day. It looks like you have a variable speed pump, so you could run it all day at very low speed (1200 -1500 rpm) for very little money. Have the SWG running whenever your pump is on as well. You can turn down the % some but you'll get a more even disbursement of chlorine this way than just by running it at night.

If your night power differential is large enough, another thing to try is to raise your CYA to 80. After years of liquid chlorine it took me a while to raise my CYA since I had programmed myself that I needed CYA low in the range. You actually have several variables to "tweak" so you can optimize:

• CYA level. You can raise to maximum level in the chart. Requires a ppm more FC but you get less loss during the day.
  • Pump speed. As Dean suggested, lower pump speed. This gives you BIG $ savings at any power rate. So long as the chlorinator is above minimum speed it makes the same amount of chlorine per hour of run time.
  • Target FC level. Target a little higher FC level than shown on the chart for peak sun months or frequent heavy use. If you go too high this will increase loss during the day. I've found 1-3 ppm doesn't increase loss measurably. We swim every day all year round and sometimes get deluged with very heavy thunder storms. This helps keep us out of low FC problems from unpredictable events that can consume a LOT of FC.
Play around with these variables and you'll optimize for your specific needs. Use Pool Math to get the starting point. 3-4 ppm per day is a good starting point this time of year for your location. But all pools are different so will need to "dial in" for your pool after that.

I hope this helps.

Chris

My pool is just a tad smaller than yours. I installed the same cell this year as well. I live in AR and it has been running around 88-90 degrees everyday and my pool is in full sun from 8:30 until sundown. I run my pump for 10 hours a day with my cell at 60% and I am maintaining my chlorine @ 10 with swimmers everyday.

I think a SLAM is needed and then you should be able to maintain.
10 hours a day at night or during sunshine hours?

I run mine during the day as want the skimmer action during the times I'd be looking at or using the pool. Energy costs are the same night and day so it makes no difference that way.

Maddie :flower:
I wish mine was flat rate! The rates for us are drop to less than 1/2 of the daytime peak rate between midnight and noon. So that is when I run mine.

I wish mine was flat rate! The rates for us are drop to less than 1/2 of the daytime peak rate between midnight and noon. So that is when I run mine.
Careful what you wish for. I have flat rate and it’s the high one *ALL* the time. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.