Switch now or wait till next year?

Right after the first bleach addition (6 gallons)

DSCN0062.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics, it looks great! I'll bet you're glad you went ahead with the conversion. ;)
I clearly remember the fear that struck me a few days into my conversion. I thought I had probably done something wrong and ruined my pool! When your water turns that horrid greenish brown color it's defiantely a little scary. LOL
It'll be smooth sailing from here on out. What do your numbers look like now?

joconner316,

I am new to this thread but just wanted to pass along what a nice job you have done!!! I believe if you will hold the FC up high for another day or so, that greenish cast will disappear completely and your water will be pristine blue.

Then it'll be time to change out the filter and finish the process. Nice work! :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave & Samantha,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm VERY happy to have made the switch, and I'm glad I didn't wait until next year to do it.

I'm still only testing for FC; the last two nights it dropped about 5 ppm which is more than it had been dropping. However, it rained both nights and I brushed the pool and ran the Polaris; so I guess I stirred up some stuff that interacted with the chlorine.

Here's a picture from this morning: Day 10

DSCN0109.jpg

Another Question: I've been surprised by the amount of overnight chlorine loss the last few days; this morning it was 10 ppm. I'm beginning to think I may not actually ever be reaching 15 ppm. I suppose this is possible if I'm estimating the capacity of the pool incorrectly. After completing the FC test this morning, I decided to test CC's since I haven't been doing it during the conversion. The reading I got was 17 ppm, quite a bit more than the FC reading. Is this normal?

joconnor316 said:
Another Question: I've been surprised by the amount of overnight chlorine loss the last few days; this morning it was 10 ppm. I'm beginning to think I may not actually ever be reaching 15 ppm. I suppose this is possible if I'm estimating the capacity of the pool incorrectly. After completing the FC test this morning, I decided to test CC's since I haven't been doing it during the conversion. The reading I got was 17 ppm, quite a bit more than the FC reading. Is this normal?
Chlorine will continue to oxidize broken down Baquacil even when the water looks clear, though you are probably getting close to the end. This broken down Baquacil will combine with chlorine and register as CC until the chlorine further breaks it down to get rid of it. This is normal. Have you backwashed your sand filter recently? Perhaps there is a lot of organics there that chlorine is still oxidizing so physical removal of them would speed things along.

I assume that for CC you are only counting the drops after the sample turned clear in testing for FC -- that is, you aren't including the FC drop count in the CC drop count meaning you counted 20 drops (10 ppm) for FC (assuming a 10 ml sample size), added R-0003, then counted an additional 34 drops (17 ppm) for CC, correct?

chem geek said:
assume that for CC you are only counting the drops after the sample turned clear in testing for FC -- that is, you aren't including the FC drop count in the CC drop count meaning you counted 20 drops (10 ppm) for FC (assuming a 10 ml sample size), added R-0003, then counted an additional 34 drops (17 ppm) for CC, correct?

Yes, that's right. An additional 34 drops. I haven't backwashed because the pressure hasn't budged since I changed the sand last Saturday. It certainly couldn't hurt, so I'll give that a try. :-D

Okay, so I backwashed the filter and there was a lot of baqua-goo in there. Back washed it again this morning and it looked clear for the entire three minutes I backwashed. Lost about five ppm of chlorine over night; I'm skeptical that I'll ever get to the point where I lose only 1 ppm overnight. So far I've used 120 gallons of bleach in a 26,400 gallon pool. How do those numbers sound to those with experience in this area. BTW, the baquacil level was 19 when I started 16 days ago. Thanks for the feedback

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.