Huntingtown, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am going to convert to a salt system and trying to figure a few things out before doing this myself. I currently run my pump at low speed 24/7 and kick it up very early am for about 4 hours using the Jep-r pump controller ( I have No other timers). I normally stop the pump for maintenance by the breaker switch not the controller. I understand that the swg should not run without the pump and not to rely on a swg low flow switch. Given my setup and routine, what do you feel is the beat way to wire this? Sure be nice if I could find a budget friendly controller that everything could be run thru.

You can use an Intermatic timer where the pump is wired to the line connections for constant power but the SWG is wired to the LOAD side that is controlled by the mechanical timer. The only hitch is that power outages and normal electrical-mechanical drift can cause the mechanical timer to not be fully synced with the pump so you’d have to leave enough margin on the timer to ensure that it’s only running when the pump is at an appropriate speed to close the flow switch. Then you’d have to periodically check the timer, maybe monthly, to ensure the pump and timer are properly synced.

Your controller probably won't work with any non-Jandy automation systems, so no budget-friendly solutions. It's good that you have remote control of pump scheduling and speeds.

For your SWG, there are some low to lower cost solutions for automation. Having automated control via app will allow the SWG controller to automatically sync time in the event of power interruptions. You can set schedules and turn on/off via app, Google Assistant, Smart Things, and Alexa. If your pump does not automatically restart after power interruptions, you can set the device to stay off when power is restored.

Here is a budget-friendly option I use for control of my SWG. It's a simple two-wire connection between the breaker and SWG controller:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.