Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I typically run my pump -
6-10 hours a day with output from SWG ranging from 40-70% based on chlorine readings done weekly. I recently installed a heat pump and I found out today it will run as low as 1100 RPM before the flow switch shuts it off.

I have been lazy about maintenance last couple years and after dealing with staining and suspected black algae committing myself to cleaning up sloppy maintenance. So I am considering extended run times allowing the SWG to run 12ish hours at reduced output. I would be open to 24H use if beneficial but reading conflicting view points. My thought was to run pump at 2200 RPM from 11-3 that would allow my heat pump to maintain temp of water and drop to 1k rest of time. During winter may need longer run times for heater, yet to be determined. I do keep a solar cover on when not in use.

Thoughts/suggestions? Aside from equipment in my signature...the pump is on 24/7 with its own control panel. The heat pump is also either off completely or set to a temp and it turns on/off if pump running with enough flow. The SWG runs on a manual timer.

Minimum pump run time is the longer of:
  • SWG generation needs
  • Heater needs
  • Skimming
Any further pump run time is personal preference. I run my pump and SWG 24/7. I like it always skimming and putting a bit of chlorine in the water. YMMV.

Last edited:
If your pool passes the OCLT, there shouldn't be any algae and your FC should remain constant between sunset and sunrise. You will be losing FC during daytime hours. You can run the SWG between sunrise and sunset. Or you can run it for less hours at a higher rate. Or you can run it 24 hours at a lower rate. The main thing is that the FC should remain above the minimum levels on the FC/CYA chart at all times. I'm like ajw22 in that I run mine 24 hours a day.

My pickle is the heat pump which maybe I am just overthinking. I rather it not run over night but to keep it off, can't go over 1200 RPM if I want to ensure it stays off. At that speed no skimming would be happening which is a moot point anyway with a cover on.

With that said not sure any benefit to running SWG 12 hours at 35ish% vs 24h at 20% (hypothetical #'s) and then program in a 4ish hour window for heater to run late morning.

You are running your system similar to mine. I lower my RPMs to 1150 at night so my heat pump shuts off. That is still high enough where the SWG will still generate*. At this time of year, there isn't any skimming on my pool either due to the solar cover. But during the summer with the solar cover off at all times, there is some weak skimming going on at 1150 RPMs. I shut the valve to off on my main returns so all water goes through the skimmers.

* when the sand filter is clean.

Last edited:
You are running your system similar to mine. I lower my RPMs to 1150 at night so my heat pump shuts off. That is still high enough where the SWG will still generate*. At this time of year, there isn't any skimming on my pool either due to the solar cover. But during the summer with the solar cover at all times, there is some weak skimming going on at 1150 RPMs. I shut the valve to off on my main returns so all water goes through the skimmers.

* when the sand filter is clean.
Thanks for the input....I am going to get everything balanced and do some experimenting. My end goal is saving energy...which ultimately saves $$

Thanks for the input....I am going to get everything balanced and do some experimenting. My end goal is saving energy...which ultimately saves $$

In my response, I put an asterisk in my reply. While you are experimenting, look at the RPMs needed to turn on the SWG and heat pump when your filter is dirty and when it is clean. I found the RPMs to be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.