SWG Settings

Jun 1, 2018
Broken Arrow, OK
Helllo all, having some concerns with chlorinator. We have finally had a number of hot days in a row and my pool with no shade has reached 92 degrees. Ive had to push chlorinator all the way up to 80 percent to keep 3 ppm free chlorine in pool. Cya is 80. Usually i run it 20 to 30 percent and my pool temp is usually 80 to 85 degrees. I know sunlight is an issue with chlorine but this seems extreme loss and cya is good. I am thinking it may be time to inspect and clean swg or is this normal summer challenges with swg?

How long are you running your SWCG each day?

I assume you have tested the CYA level in the last few weeks.

For your pool size I would suspect you need to run right at 12 hours at 100% this time of year. As your pool water exceeds 85F, CYA will degrade a bit quicker, so be sure to test that every few weeks.

If concerned, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

With the CYA at 80, you're keeping the fc too low. Something is growing even if it's not obvious yet. I would maintain the fc at 8 until you get stable fc levels and then no lower than 6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not necessarily. Ammonia compounds primarily create CC. That is mostly from bather waste unless you actually have ammonia in your water. You do not.

Not necessarily. Ammonia compounds primarily create CC. That is mostly from bather waste unless you actually have ammonia in your water. You do not.
I was able to run SWG at 100% all night and had 8 ppm chlorine at lunch today. I plan to inspect and clean cell tomorrow. One strange note, I now have white flakes (almost looks like rock salt) floating in the pool. Not sure if this is being discharged from return or some other source. Any idea what that could be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.