Central NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
General question about running SWG...I run my pump on low 24/7 at the moment because it's so stinkin hot and obviously I don't run the SWG all the time, only run it based on chlorine level. Question is, is there any affect on SWG life if I run it at 100% for shorter periods of time compared to turning it to a low setting and running more hours?

For most modern SWG systems, it doesn’t matter because they employ periodic current reversal to keep the plates clean and evenly wear them out. I find running at lower output over longer time periods works better in my pool at keeping the FC stable.

I find running at lower output over longer time periods works better in my pool at keeping the FC stable.

Same with me. Friends always complain about pool use, rain or blazing sunshine weeks messing everything up. My 24/7 trickle seems to keep mine ready to go for whatever happens. We had a blowout 4th of July party with 80 people. 24 kids in the pool and it got a little cloudy from all the sweat, oils and sunblock. My regular chlorine friends were laughing at me that I’d wake up to a disaster but the filter and SWG cleared it before I even went to bed.

Reactions: IceShadow
If you run your pump 24/7 then it is best to run your SWG 24/7 at whatever % output keeps your FC level for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels
I've been trying to dial in to see if I can run 24/7 without getting FC too high. I turned it on the next-to-lowest setting last night and will test chlorine when I get home today. If I can work that out it would be ideal obviously so I don't have to keep turning it on and off (although it doesn't take anything to do that, but still)

I've been trying to dial in to see if I can run 24/7 without getting FC too high. I turned it on the next-to-lowest setting last night and will test chlorine when I get home today. If I can work that out it would be ideal obviously so I don't have to keep turning it on and off (although it doesn't take anything to do that, but still)

That can be a challenge with an oversize cell on a small pool that does not have very fine % adjustments.

Find the % setting that is too low and the one that is too high. Run it for a while too high and let your FC creep up then adjust it down for a while until it gets back down to your target FC. You may need to adjust the % up and down periodically to make it work.

Reactions: Rumbleehockey03
That’s exactly it. It has more to do with what happens when the SWG isn’t running. You ran for 4 hours in the morning but the afternoon was a scorcher or it rained at night. Go with a constant flow and it’s harder for the outside influences to affect the chemistry. Just adjust up/down every few days based on FC/CYA levels. Occasionally you’ll know in advance it’s gonna be a hot weekend with lots of pool use and you can be proactive but usually it’s after the fact. If your levels started perfect you’ll usually catch it before it becomes a problem.

Also, I didn’t think my old IC60 could but the new one does, I can go 2-20% in 2% increments so it would be able to dial in on smaller pools too.

I'm right there with you, but given our power bill last month o_O we are trying to see how little we can run the pump to keep it chlorinated and skimmed. The screen helps with the "junk in the pool" thing. I'm trying to run 4 hours a day on low (we have a 2 speed pump) and one hour on high. And testing daily and adjusting chlorination percentage accordingly.

You're way will totally work also. If you stay vigilant testing, you can adjust daily to start as close to ideal as possible. The next 24 hours probably wont swing far enough to matter. Its the people who slack that get the worst results. Skip 3 or 4 days and the sun burned off enough to start the pendulum swing. The overnight thunderstorm on day 3 will easily finish that swing. And thats the story i always hear from friends. 'Oh man i was 'fine the other day' and we got that storm and now it looks like a swamp.' And then they loose a week or two to fix it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're way will totally work also. If you stay vigilant testing, you can adjust daily to start as close to ideal as possible. The next 24 hours probably wont swing far enough to matter. Its the people who slack that get the worst results. Skip 3 or 4 days and the sun burned off enough to start the pendulum swing. The overnight thunderstorm on day 3 will easily finish that swing. And thats the story i always hear from friends. 'Oh man i was 'fine the other day' and we got that storm and now it looks like a swamp.' And then they loose a week or two to fix it.
Yes, until I feel that I have a really good handle on it, I'm testing daily and adjusting. I may get to a point that if everything is "normal" (no storms, etc.,) I could cut back to every other day. But that's not any time soon. I love the remote app where I can look at the weather and kick the chlorinator up a couple of notches if its really hot and sunny.

Thats awesome. I usually just grumble that i have to walk 'all the way over to the equiptment' to do it with the push of a button, but its still about as easy as possible. I just got a weather alert on my phone. The after effects of Barry are almost here in NY. It was 90 degrees hot and humid all day and we will have flash flooding, hail and up to 70 mph wind gusts this evening. Talk about a swing. Even being proactive might not help for some people.

That can be a challenge with an oversize cell on a small pool that does not have very fine % adjustments.

Find the % setting that is too low and the one that is too high. Run it for a while too high and let your FC creep up then adjust it down for a while until it gets back down to your target FC. You may need to adjust the % up and down periodically to make it work.
Yep, that’s kinda the game plan. It’s made much easier now that I’ve found this site and really know what to look for and how often to test ?. I really need to order that tf-100 kit (or whatever the correct name is) because the 5-way kit I bought only goes to 5ppm FC so once I get to that mark I have no clue where I’m at above it. I’m only about 10 days in to a functioning pool so have lots on tweeting and learning to do but have read LOTS of information and feel as confident as I can about managing everything.

Thats awesome. I usually just grumble that i have to walk 'all the way over to the equiptment' to do it with the push of a button, but its still about as easy as possible. I just got a weather alert on my phone. The after effects of Barry are almost here in NY. It was 90 degrees hot and humid all day and we will have flash flooding, hail and up to 70 mph wind gusts this evening. Talk about a swing. Even being proactive might not help for some people.
Wow!! Be safe man!! I keep hoping for rain to help cool my water a bit because we,be been on a streak of mid-high 90s and full sun since the pool was setup so water already hit 94ish. I got a fountain Monday and ran it full-on last night and today the water maxed out at 90 so I’m headed in the right direction. Also setup a deck umbrella to at least shade a chunk in the afternoon. I think water temp will be my greatest battle here in NC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.