Plainfield Il
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just woundering what does everyone have their SWG set at? I had it set at 20% and the ppm would fall to 1 or less. With nobody in it fo a few days. I would just add about 8oz of shock to bring it up to 2-3ppm.
FC / TC 1.04
pH 7.5
Alk 109
CH 234
Cya 41

How are you testing? Your FC is far too low. See FC/CYA Levels

Your SWCG has to be adjusted to provide the FC you need each day. There is no reason to add 'shock', whatever that is.

Depends on a couple variables. What size is your salt cell? I keep my cell adjusted at around 15-20% with a T-9 cell which is compatible for pools up to 25k. I bought that before I found the TFP website and saw they recommend 2x the size of your pool for a swc. I run my VS pump 24/7 too though. My FC stays at 5-6

Matt,

Salt cells are dumb as rocks.. They have no brain, you need to be the cell's brain and tell it to make more chlorine. You are running your FC way too low...

The amount of chlorine that the cell makes depends on the output % and the pump run time...

How long do you currently run your cell each day?

What size Cell do you have?

The lower your CYA level, the faster the sun will consume your FC.. We recommend a CYA level of 70 or 80 for saltwater pools... The more people in the water, the more FC the pool will use..

I love saltwater pools, but just like any other pool, it is up to the owner to routinely test and adjust things to keep the water in balance...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm Using a "LaMotte" test kit.

SWG Pentair IC40

According to the Thursday Pool guide they suggest Cya 30-50ppm.

Also the pump does run 24/7.

m

Last edited:
Matt,

An IC40 in your 13K pool will generate 13 ppm of FC when run at 100% for 24 hrs.. That means at 20% your cell should be making about 2.6 ppm of FC per day.. In your location I would have thought that would have been enough..

That said, if you are running your FC at 1 or 2 ppm, my guess is that you have an algae bloom, even if you can't see it yet..

You can easily prove me right or wrong by running what we call an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Simple to do other than getting up early.. :mrgreen:

Here is how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Please let us know how it turns out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, I did a Chlorine lost test last night. With the SWG off, pump on the water tested;
7:30 pm Cl was .66 added Leslie's Power Powder Plus, then retested;
9PM at CL / FC 3.09ppm with the Cya at 57ppm
7am it tested at CL / FC 1.90 with the Cya a 47.

Pool was covered over night.

m

Just woundering what does everyone have their SWG set at? I had it set at 20% and the ppm would fall to 1 or less. With nobody in it fo a few days. I would just add about 8oz of shock to bring it up to 2-3ppm
🤦‍♂️
* votes that we rename ‘minimum’ to ‘disaster’

OP after OP after OP tells us that they bounce around minimum like it’s no big deal. If they have to ask us what happened after they ‘flirted with disaster’ they will already know what they were doing wrong.

Yes it’s true one can watch minimum like a Hawk and add 1 FC everytime it’s needed, but nobody does. They come back tomorrow and are 1 or 2 under. Under *disaster*. Instead of being happy they are *2FC over minimum* after topping off, they would look at it differently if they were *only 2 from disaster*.

With the average daily loss in most cases putting OP below minimum, I think it would force more people to respect it like it deserves.

For the few OPs who know exactly what they are doing and enjoy the challange of dancing that line, no harm will be done and they will get more of a thrill flirting with disaster and staying one step ahead.

*fast forward a season once the term catches on*

@Matt F 3 posts a thread :

Hey All !!!! 20% was putting me into disaster territory so I bumped it to 40% and have all kinds of wiggle room now. Hope all your summers are going as good as mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I did a Chlorine lost test last night. With the SWG off, pump on the water tested;
7:30 pm Cl was .66 added Leslie's Power Powder Plus, then retested;
9PM at CL / FC 3.09ppm with the Cya at 57ppm
7am it tested at CL / FC 1.90 with the Cya a 47.

Pool was covered over night.

m
Hi Matt, I'm confused with your CYA testing. Last night it was 57ppm and this morning 47ppm. I don't know anything about the Lamotte testing method, but it seems off unless you got a lot of rain last night.

I run my single speed pump 9 hours/day with my SWG at 30% and FC typically at 7 with cya at 70. We just recovered from a leak and had to refill the pool so still working on dialing things in. But you really need to keep your FC higher. I recommend reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. It really helped me a lot to learn how to balance my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.