SWG question?

May 13, 2013
I just installed 2 speed pump and intellipro 60 in my pool. It is my first SWG and it only will run at higher speed on the pump. What is the best way to do it? Should I run SWG continuously for few hours at a time or is it better to change the speed few times a day to get more of an equal chlorine output throughout the day?

You want to run the SWG at a high percentage setting for as short a time as gives you enough chlorine. If possible (not essential) that run time should be split up into two or more segments at different times of day.

There is some chance you might need a little more pump run time than the minimum to give you enough chlorine, though I doubt it. If so, run any required additional time on low.

JasonLion said:
You want to run the SWG at a high percentage setting for as short a time as gives you enough chlorine. If possible (not essential) that run time should be split up into two or more segments at different times of day.

There is some chance you might need a little more pump run time than the minimum to give you enough chlorine, though I doubt it. If so, run any required additional time on low.

Why is this? It's not better to run the SWG at a lower setting and longer? I'm running my SWG at 30% for 9.5 hours a day. (Close to what the filter runs.) It would be better to run it at 60% for 5 hours a day?

I think Jason was assuming you would want to minimize your run time at high speed to help minimize you electric bill. If you don't mind the increase electricity usage then yes run it longer with the SWG at a lower setting.

I would ask yourself this: If you didn't have a SWG, how long would you run your pump at high speed per day to achieve the level of filtering you need? Start there with the SWG set to 80-90% and see if you are generating enough chlorine. Increase pump run time if necessary (or decrease SWG % if you are generating too much).

These are excellent questions and I've read the posting for how long to run your filter. We used to run it much longer as the pool guy said he lets his run 24/7. We generally only ran it 12 - 14 hrs a day. Backing it down to 10 hours was a big step for us LOL! (Based upon the readings on this forum.)

I think we've always ran it so long because #1 - the SWG was making chlorine and #2 - it keeps the water cleaner and skims off anything that falls in it. The longer the filter/pump is off, the more sow bugs that commit suicide and sink to the bottom. I'm not lying when I say hundreds die each and every night when the filter is off. (After 7 years, you'd think that we would have killed off the entire population!)

We didn't have good luck with a creepy crawly. It could never make it to the shallow end as the jets (even if they were turned facing the surface of the pool) would send the thing right back down to the deeper end. I think this is because it's a smaller pool and the water pressure from the jets is higher.

I think what you're saying (and what I've read) that it really becomes a personal preference to how many bugs I want to have to vacuum out each day?

My real concern though is what will make the SWG happiest and last the longest. I'd like to find some happy medium in between 'extending the life of the SWG' and 'not having a pile of bugs down at the shallow end'.

The SWG does not really care because either way it is actively chlorinating for the same amount of time to achieve the same amount of chlorine in the pool. The % is the amount of time the SWG is actually on.

Best way to extend its life its to high the recommended CYA level.

Also, 10-12 hours a day is way too much pump run time. You can save dramatic amounts of electricity and have the pool look just as good at shorter run times. See the article on determining your ideal pump runtime in Pool School.

Adding chlorine all at once vs adding a little bit slowly throughout the day makes only a very very small difference, that you might as well ignore.

I have read the article to determine ideal pump runtime (many times). I even said that in my posting. The article says (which I referenced): " If this amount of run time is not sufficient to keep the pool clean enough for your preference, then gradually increase the pump run time until it is clean enough for your own tastes"

That's why I asked. I was trying to find a happy medium between keeping the SWG healthy and long lasting and filtering out the debris/bugs that wander in the pool.

So... I've lowered the run time down to 7 hours and the SWG is at 60%. This just isn't quite enough chlorine. (I need about .5 more a day.)

So, which is best for the SWG? Add more run time or move the SWG up higher?

Please don't tell me to read the article, I've read it. I'm just trying to find out which is the best option to keep my SWG running fine for as long as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm just trying to find out which is the best option to keep my SWG running fine for as long as possible
It's irrelevant. Chlorine production is chlorine production whether you do it as a percentage of output or change the run time. Any difference is too small to spend time worrying about.

duraleigh said:
I'm just trying to find out which is the best option to keep my SWG running fine for as long as possible
It's irrelevant. Chlorine production is chlorine production whether you do it as a percentage of output or change the run time. Any difference is too small to spend time worrying about.

Thanks for the answer! I didn't want to be 3 years ahead, the SWG is dead, and get a lecture "Well, it's your own fault! You're the one who ran the SWG at higher rates. You should have backed down the percentage and just ran the pump longer!"

I can't help worrying. Honestly, I can't! I try really hard though.......... ;-/

LOL! For me last year it was a constant battle to dial in my SWG. And then on top of that i had PH rise all the time. And then on top of that i'm now back to dialing in the SWG again this year! I fixed the PH rise with Borates, so that's been nice, but i'm still playing with pump run time and SWG generation %. One of the users here showed me how to set my rewire my SWG to run just a specific amount of time per day on a timer, so that i could just vary one thing pump run time. Alas i haven't done it because it requires re-wiring some stuff in my autocontrol unit....Do you have any automation equipment?

This is a new SWG (just replaced about two weeks ago) so I'm still feeling my way through it. It's wired into the box so when the pump goes off, the SWG goes off too. (I'm probably not quite explaining that in the proper terms.)

That's not really necessary though as this SWG control box has it's own internal timers (two of them actually) and the directions (or something I read somewhere) said to set it to come on 15 mins after the pump turns on and then turn off 15 mins before the pump shuts off. (Which I've done.)

This is my 3rd SWG in 7 years - the first one didn't even last through the first season and the pool builder replaced it with a different brand at the beginning of season 2 . That brand (and I never liked it as well as the first) had a dial so you never really knew where it was set. It worked, but I wish I had got snarky when he put it in and insisted on something better.

I know from past experience that it's never truly a 'set it and forget it' type of thing and it's always a series of adjustments. (Weather conditions, use, etc.)

I just mostly want to be sure that I'm doing everything in my power to get the most life expectancy out of this SWG. The last one lasted six years (I guess I should have a kinder view of it - LOL) and I want to be sure to get that kind of life out of this one.

I've read (and my own personal experience confirms this) that pH rise is quite common with SWGs. It's never been so bad for me and at most, I've probably only used a couple of gallons of muratic acid over a season. Since my fill water is so high in TA, I know I'm always going to fight it. (I look at the bright side of this: At least I don't have to worry that my water is so corrosive and eating my pipes/heater/etc, right?!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.