swg ppm levels

poolnoob

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
some salt generators work at between 2600-3200 ppm
and others work at 3200-4000 ppm

is there a reason why they work at different levels? does this have an effect on reliability or cell life?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Market pressure in the US has been pushing down the lowest salt levels that units will work at. Working at lower salt levels requires slightly more expensive components, but customers are demanding that they work with the lower levels. Manufacturers have been following that trend (some more quickly than others).

Strannik

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
the higher the salt the more efficient SWG cells are.

lifespan depends more on electrode design and material quality

most of Australian units work on 4500-6500 ppm, because there is no market pressure here to bring it down

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
I wouldn't make the decision on the basis of the recommended salt level, unless you already have a strong opinion on that subject. It doesn't make any significant difference to the chemistry and the taste is very similar and not objectionable to most people either way.

Personally, I prefer Hayward to Zodiac, but not for any reason having to do with the salt level.

New2Me

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
SW Indiana
Sorry Jason, I read the new posts from the bottom up, and just saw that you answered my above question in poolnoob's other post.

Other Threads of Interest