Jandy Aquapure 1400
43k plaster pool w/spa built in 2009
Zone 8A Texas
Current readings
Ph 7.8
TA 100
CYA 50
FC 2
Circulation is through the spa and pool jets with a continuous Aeration ongoing with spa spillover as a result.
With swimming season upon us I usually have to add 1 gal of acid total weekly and twice a year sodium bicarbonate maybe 50 lbs a year. There is a cam on the spa actuator valve that prevents one from isolation pool only mode eliminating the Aeration and I’m not sure how to treat the spa water if I remove cam. Any suggestions? This forum has been a lifesaver for me!

Ben,

You just need to run the Spa spillover and hour a day, which should keep your spa water fresh.

Do you have an automation system that switches between your Pool and Spa modes??

If not, it means you would need to go out and adjust the spillover valve (Called a make-up line or valve), which is just not realistic.. since you are a DIY guy, you could add an automated valve to move the make-up valve once or twice a day.. You could run it off of a timer or a simple home automation system..

How do you currently chlorinate your pool? How big is your salt cell? 43K is a big pool. I ask, because with a CYA of 50, 2 ppm of FC is very low.

You might want to take a read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks

Jim R.

Ben,

You just need to run the Spa spillover and hour a day, which should keep your spa water fresh.

Do you have an automation system that switches between your Pool and Spa modes??

If not, it means you would need to go out and adjust the spillover valve (Called a make-up line or valve), which is just not realistic.. since you are a DIY guy, you could add an automated valve to move the make-up valve once or twice a day.. You could run it off of a timer or a simple home automation system..

How do you currently chlorinate your pool? How big is your salt cell? 43K is a big pool. I ask, because with a CYA of 50, 2 ppm of FC is very low.

You might want to take a read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks

Jim R.
Salt cell is a Jandy larger size I think a bit undersized for pool size. Yes pool is huge was here when I bought home. My spa valve is automatic either spa mode or quarter open for circ into spa

Salt cell is a Jandy larger size I think a bit undersized for pool size. Yes pool is huge was here when I bought home. My spa valve is automatic either spa mode or quarter open for circ into spa
I would need to adjust the cams somehow on valve to have it fully open or closed but I would loose the option of the spill over effect when I want the look

A second valve would allow me to have the third option just wondering if someone has tackled this before
Yes I have this seesaw of MA then TA and trying to reduce acid requirements I use backing soda for the TA. The acid is over the course of the week I generally gradually add a qt every few days to keep yo-yo flatter. The TA is over the course of the summer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I have this seesaw of MA then TA and trying to reduce acid requirements I use backing soda for the TA. The acid is over the course of the week I generally gradually add a qt every few days to keep yo-yo flatter. The TA is over the course of the summer
I can try to keep Ph at 7.8 vs the 7.5 I keep it at that’s no issue. FC may be low if my CYA is higher than I think. That’s a difficult measurement for me for some reason

I looked up my sw cell Jandy 1400 and saw a different thread about cells gal rating is 24 hr run time. 43k pool 40k swg cell and I don’t want 24 hr run time for pool. Cell is undersized. Sp far no algae issues after 4 summers in the home and diy pool maintenance. I did read about influence of ph and chlorine efficiency dropping if ph is on the higher side of range

I looked up my sw cell Jandy 1400 and saw a different thread about cells gal rating is 24 hr run time. 43k pool 40k swg cell and I don’t want 24 hr run time for pool. Cell is undersized. Sp far no algae issues after 4 summers in the home and diy pool maintenance. I did read about influence of ph and chlorine efficiency dropping if ph
I don’t let the TA get too low either

I don’t let the TA get too low either

You can let your TA drop, as long as it does not go below 50 ppm.

Keeping your TA at around 50 may help keep your pH more stable.

I am surprised that your 40K cell is keeping the FC up in your pool, but if it is work, that is all that counts. Do you add anything else? Do you throw in bags of powdered shock on a regular basis? Just curious how your cell is maintaining your FC :scratch:

Sounds like you have an automation system.. If so, which one?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I too am surprised my chlorine keeps up and no I don’t add any additional chlorine via tablets or anything else so it does keep up. I do run the pump a good 12 hrs in summertime. And increase running time if I see any evidence of algae which is rare. My automation is Jandy installed in 2009 that controls spa, heater, pool cleaner (Polaris) a separate pump for a waterfall cave and a separate pump for a deck jet feature and lights.
The hand held controller is antique and is getting more difficult to connect with time.
Overall pool just needs attention because of size but manageable with the advice on this forum and info.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I too am surprised my chlorine keeps up and no I don’t add any additional chlorine via tablets or anything else so it does keep up. I do run the pump a good 12 hrs in summertime. And increase running time if I see any evidence of algae which is rare. My automation is Jandy installed in 2009 that controls spa, heater, pool cleaner (Polaris) a separate pump for a waterfall cave and a separate pump for a deck jet feature and lights.
The hand held controller is antique and is getting more difficult to connect with time.
Overall pool just needs attention because of size but manageable with the advice on this forum and info.
Thanks for the help!

Just an update for summer load and chlorine production. My Jandy 1400 has not kept up this summer and I have had some algae and even some black algae.
Both algae are gone after slam though I may have some issues with my salt water sensor. The sensor will calibrate but may not be holding the calibration. I will know after a couple of days. However my Jandy 1400 will not keep up with a 43000 gal pool in zone 8A without some supplement chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.