SWG output questions

George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
I have a Jazcuzi SWG. It has five output positions on it that are indicated by the number of lit lights light on the display. My CYA in 80. I bumped up my SWG output to maximum (5) about 2 weeks ago prior to a large planned pool party. By the time I remembered to turn it down my CL was 11. I been trying to get my CL back down to a reading of 5 by lowerering the setting down to 3 for a few days then 2 and now 1. I still am getting a CL reading of 10. I am beginning to think somehow the setting is still at a 5 output even though the lights on it say 1. How can I verify that the SWG has a setting problem short of turning it off for a few days and see if the CL reading goes down. How does the output adjustments change the chlorine output of the generator? Is it done by applying a different voltage to the conversation plates. If so can I measure the voltage to see if it changes when I change the setting?

I am not familiar with that control system, but for nearly all SWGs the control is the % of time that the cell is actually generating over some set time period. For example, I think the Hayward is on a 3 hour cycle. So if you set the output to 50% it will generate for 90 minutes and then be off for 90 minutes.

I would guess that yours is the same and that the number of lights correspond to 20% increments of generating time over some time period.

A search for a Jacuzzi 550 SWCG comes up empty. All the Jacuzzi equipment are rebranded.

As Jason says, it is so many minutes generating and so many minutes off within a cycle.

How long are you running your pump?

The pump is set to run 12 hours. A 50% run time according to pool math should be sufficient to offset the 2-3 ppm of FC loss I get in the hot summer months. Could it be whatever regulates the flow of votage to the cell is malfunctioning?
PS: the model is actually a J-SS40 and is a 40K system.

I imagine your FC loss could be variable depending on how long the marine layer stays over your pool. No real big deal to have a little higher FC. I would set the SWCG to generate 2 ppm per day and wait a while to see how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.