SWG not used in years. How to tell if it still works?

I added 5lbs more salt and turned on the jets and blower to help dissolve faster. It is moving between 20-35 now. Maybe it takes a little while for it to register the salt. I saw in a thread about intellichlor SWCG that they can take many hours to register properly. Maybe this is similar.

The Pentair IC only measure the salinity at boot up or every 12 hours. Not sure about this one. I would leave it a while and see what it does.

I looked back and you said you have the A5 cell. That is rated for 40000 gallons. So should be around 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas per 24 hours.

So at 35%, it will chlorinate your pool right now if run 24 hours per day.

Are you seeing any bubbles coming off the plates in the cell?

There is definitely some agitation between the plates. I assume they are bubbles but the water is moving really fast so its tough to tell. Since I have it only chlorinating the 800 gallon hot tub, the FC should increase very quickly correct? Pool math is telling me FC will increase by 6pm if ran for 2 hours at 35%.

It has been running a couple of hours and bumped back down from 35-20%. Even at 35% it would not have worked as I cant run the pump 24/7 due to my electric plan. Would it be advisable to replace the cell for $439 since the controller seems to be functioning?

That is a choice you will have to make. The controller is obsolete from what I saw. I saw some cells cheaper than that, but generic cells are a wild card on quality.

PLE,

You can estimate run time required and percent power using pool math. Just select “affect of adding” then go down to the magnifying glass and select Hey brand and model that has the same chlorine output as yours. You can play around with the settings for percent power and runtime to calculate your FC addition per day. Try to set it for 4 PPM this time of year.

Chris

Mitch- I was looking at generic cells but all of the websites that sell them seem to be fly by night with horror stories from people who have used them. I would just buy from discountsaltpool as they seem to be well reviewed on TFP. A new system seems like it would cost over 1k so risk reward of the new cell might be ok if it last at least a couple years.....unless I'm looking at the new systems incorrectly. Do you have any rec on a system that would be ideal? I've done some research but it is all subjective.

Chris- I love the affect of adding function on pool math. I ran the calculation and at the 20% max output im getting and running 24 hrs my SWCG would raise FC by 1.7 which isn't going to cut it in the summer here in phx. I would still need to add bleach which defeats the purpose of the swcg.

A Circupool SWCG rated for at least 40K would be the best for a full system. I agree on the cell from them if you wish to try your current system. They are most likely to take a return if you find it was not the cell but the controller. Especially if you then bought a full system from them.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PLE,
why are you limiting the percent power to 20%? I would adjust 20% upward until you are adding 4 PPM per day.

Chris

Looks like I've got some decisions to make. The Circupool Edge-40 looks good and they are running a $1 upgrade so I can get it for $1099 right now. I would love to save the money and just get the salt cell but something tells me that spending the extra now will save me headache and frustration in the near future.

Chris- The system will only operate at 20%. When I turn the dial to max output it only indicates 20%. The system is old and hasn't been used in probably 5-6 years. I was hoping to revive it but that seems a lost cause.

PLE,

I see. I installed a Circupool system a little over a year ago. I am very happy with its performance. We also have many other members that have used their system. It also appears they provide very good customer support based on posts I see from other users. I do not think Circupool is better than The major providers. But I also do not think it is inferior and for a do it yourself the warranty is significantly better.

Chris

The way the salt cell is mounted inline is a little funky. I've worked with pvc before just not on a pool. Home depot/lowes should have the fittings I need to put the new salt cell in correct? I'm assuming I'm going to have to redo that double elbow as there isn't much straight pipe available.
IMG_20200915_162947.jpg

Wanted to give an update in case it helps someone else. I ended up buying the a5 salt cell from discountsaltpools as they said I had 30 days to return if it didn't fix my problem. I installed the cell yesterday and it is working as it should. The wires were updated to quick connects from the scc25 to the a5 so I had to cut the wires to connect it.

thanks so much for the follow up. Many times we never find out what the resolution was. Sounds like circupool is still offering good customer service that's also nice to know.
Good luck!

Chris

Great! Be sure to modify your signature with the SWCG details.

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

ple,

thank you so much! This site runs on a totally volunteer effort. Everybody happy their expertise! But servers and internet and video production all cost money. That's what the funds go for.

Nice to have you in the Forum and look forward to your future posts.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.