Jenkintown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Playing with idea of getting an swg. I know the recommendations here are to wire it to the pump timer (single speed pump) which I understand the need for. Are the controls on swg’s generally mechanical or have some mechanism to retain their settings when the power is cut off?

Yes, SWG control units are designed so that they can be switched on and off without loosing the settings. I used a Hayward AquaRite SWG for about 15 years and recently replaced it with one of the Hayward clone units. Have always had it switched by a simple Intermatic mechanical timer, while my variable speed pump is switched from its onboard timer/controller. This system has worked flawlessly.

Just be sure that pump is set to come on BEFORE SWG, and shut down AFTER. You never want a SWG powered when there is no flow. Explosions can and have resulted. Be safe.

Playing with idea of getting an swg. I know the recommendations here are to wire it to the pump timer (single speed pump) which I understand the need for. Are the controls on swg’s generally mechanical or have some mechanism to retain their settings when the power is cut off?
Look at the website discountsaltpool.com. They have a good selection and can assist you on installation issues if you have any questions.

In addition to @chiefwej response I'd add the following:
  • Warranty is important since all manufacturers seem to have at least a few cells that fail after a year or two and this is very expensive to fix without warranty
  • DIY warranties are very limited by major manufacturers
  • Several 3rd party providers known to be reputable offer great warranties and provide the same warranty for DIY
  • This would be a great time to consider a variable speed pump to provide maximum flexibility with your salt system that will pay for itself in a couple years max for most US installations
  • Select your system on value by checking $/lb chlorine produced, warranty, and reputation here. The cheapest cost alone is not a good way to select swg system. Look here for a lot of this information already tabulated for you.
Lastly, if you go with a salt pool you're gonna love it!

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: HermanTX
This would be a great time to consider a variable speed pump to provide maximum flexibility with your salt system that will pay for itself in a couple years max for most US installations
Very important: SWG's rated output are for 24/7. You may have to go with a larger SWG and/or run your pump longer. I wired my pump and SWG into the same mechanical timer. When I lose power it is not a problem, both units restart simultaneously and there is zero risk of explosion.

Thanks. I am weighing converting to a vsp at the same time and maybe then not having to buy the biggest swg out there. We’ll see.…..

Thanks. I am weighing converting to a vsp at the same time and maybe then not having to buy the biggest swg out there. We’ll see
Hey Trivit !! The 45k units would be just under 2X for you, and work plenty fine for PA. Our UV demand is lighter than most. But I would go to 60 if I were you for the added longevity.

I’m building a 35k pool soon so 60 was my only choice. It worked stupid awesome on my last pool with the same specs, but I would have gone larger in a heartbeat.

Talk to me about how long these things really last…..

The circupool rj45 is rated for 15K hours, I assume that rating is at 100% load, or 2 lb a day. I picked up somewhere that 1 lb chlorine is about 1 gallon of 12% LC, which is 5ppm in my pool.

So 15k x 2/24 x 5 = 6250 ppm FC, or about 20 years for my 5 month season averaging 2ppm FC loss a day.

I know these things don’t last that long, so where is the false assumption? Either the 15k hours is bogus or its not for 100% capacity. Or electronics failure always cuts the lifespan shorter than the rating implies it should last.

I’m not complaining if it lasts 7 years instead of 20. If I get 4-5 without having to replace its worth it. Just trying to understand the numbers (or where I screwed up the math)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The circupool rj45 is rated for 15K hours, I assume that rating is at 100% load…….

So 15k x 2/24 x 5 = 6250 ppm FC, or about 20 years for my 5 month season averaging 2ppm FC loss a day.
My IC60 was rated for 10k hours and claimed it was in the 6k range when it died after 6.5 years. The thing was a beast and made pool care so easily that I didn’t blink while replacing it. A $780 unexpected decision at the time was made like it was $20.

All the brands tend to overestimate their lifespans with perfect lab conditions not attainable in the real world. Pentair and Circupool seem to be ahead of the pack there and at least kinda come close. Some of the other brands are off by miles.

But I’d rather have it last so long that the electronics give out while it still has 20%(?) of the coating on the plates. The initial buy in is the expensive part. An IC20 to IC40 gets double the life and the iC40 to IC60 gets 50% longer. Both upgrades are about 20% in more cost and well in the favor of the buyer.

Circupool has similar #s.

In my 20k pool the Hayward t-15 cells (40k rated) last on average 5-6 years, with a pool that is open year-round.

t,

I forgot to mention a couple of things:
  • Definitely do follow the TFP recommendation to get a cell rated at 2x your pool size if at all possible with your budget. Remember the pump pays for itself even with a shorter pool season like you have.
  • Even pool size ratings are now being fudged. Look at the comparison site and you'll see a big chlorine production difference for the same size pool by different manufacturers. That's not possible Yes, they could be fudging production numbers too but it's much easier to fudge pool size using a different basis with less risk of getting sued.
  • Also remember incremental capacity is much cheaper than a replacement
I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.