SWG circupool UV40?

Sep 18, 2018
Tifton Ga
A few questions:

1) is now the time to buy a SWG or will winter be a better buy? I have enough chlorine to get me by the season I think but want to switch when it’ll cost me $150 for tablets again.
2) I am looking at the Circupool line of SWG and possibly others but saw the Circupool universal40 for around $820. Is that a good buy? Also I have around a 18-20k pool would a 25k unit work or
Should I get a 40k?

3) I know folks say you buy less chemicals with SWG but what chemical outside of chlorine are they referencing? I spend approx $150 per year on tabs at in the swim and probably $250 or so in shock.

also anything else I should know? And thanks

Unless you drain to manage your CYA buildup you have to do this before you switch to salt and you will need to balance your water using TFP methods for the best cell life. Do you have a recommended test kit? If so, please post a current set of test results and we'll make recommendations to help you get ready. If not you will need to get one so you can make sure you are balanced for max cell life. Here are answers to your questions:

1. Salt system prices have gone up a lot this year; most people speculate it's due to covid and rare metal supply shortages. So it's hard to predict what will happen on pricing this winter. But I wouldn't see any harm in waiting a few months. You should buy a unit sized for a 40K gallon pool. Check the lb chlorine production for a fair comparison though since some brands are claiming they can treat a bigger pool than others with a given chlorine production rate.

2. Just looking at price for the unit can be a little deceptive. When you compare pricing I would look at $/lb chlorine production, warranty, and reputation for customer service on this site. Warranty is more important for salt systems because all brands have a few failures after year 1. Out of warranty this would be an expensive repair. Check out this website for comparison information. I used this method and it led me to Circupool. They usually have some kind of sale to upgrade to the next higher production unit for a small price like $50. I ended up with an RJ 30 plus for my pool. I'm in year 2 with it and very happy with its performance. I use TFP methods to balance water and I think this helps a LOT for cell life.

3. Certainly you will see little or no cost for liquid chlorine or tablets after you switch. I also added borates and my acid consumption is way less than before the switch to salt. I think the payout for salt pools based on chemical cost is about break even after 5-6 years. But the real benefit is that it makes pool care much easier. I rarely have to do anything other than just run my FC, CC, pH tests a couple times per week and add about 32 oz of acid once per week. No more jug lugging. The other benefit is the water is much "softer feeling". My wife loves it and our grand kids say it doesn't irritate their eyes like other pools.

In addition to your TFP recommended test kit such as a TF-100 you'll need a K1766 salt test. It's the best way by far to test for salt. Test strips are only +/- 500 ppm accurate and this is not sufficient to manage your salt level for max cell life. You don't actually consume salt but you will lose salt when you drain/refill due to rain. I get a LOT of rain so I lose two+ bags per year due to this. I use Diamond Brand water softener salt from HD or Lowes. It's way cheaper than Morton's Pool salt and works fine based on my experience and other experts recommendations here. Just stay away from any brand that has additives for iron control or any other additives.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris - did not realize I would have to drain pool to switch that does not sound appealing. What if my chemicals are balanced? Right now I just shock my pool once a week and check chlorine tabs I just hate the chlorine gas it’s brutal sometimes. I also use acid after heavy rain. Do you need to buy shock if you have a SWG? I’m waiting on prices to go back down that site you referenced has pretty decent deals but I had the universal 40 in my cart at $820 but just feel better deals to be had.

You need to read pool school here and see how chemicals and chemistry really work. You don"t have to switch to SWCG to have good water. If you smell what you're calling chlorine gas then your water is out of wack. A salt pool is the same as a chlorine pool and neither of them should reek chlorine. I have many CHLORINE pools and none of them have any smell whatsoever. Read read read is all we could suggest and get yourself one of the recommended testing kits. Me personally, I love the TF-100 as many here would agree. Test tithe water the TFP method and come back with your questions.

Thanks Chris - did not realize I would have to drain pool to switch that does not sound appealing. What if my chemicals are balanced? Right now I just shock my pool once a week and check chlorine tabs I just hate the chlorine gas it’s brutal sometimes. I also use acid after heavy rain. Do you need to buy shock if you have a SWG? I’m waiting on prices to go back down that site you referenced has pretty decent deals but I had the universal 40 in my cart at $820 but just feel better deals to be had.
Post your test results. SWG work best with CYA around 80.
you will love converting. Makes life so much easier. I test my water a few times a week but biggest advantage is I was gone for 10 days and came back to my normal FC of 6.5 and perfect water. I just add a little acid once a week.
I bought the edge40 for $840 in February this year and now it’s $1200!! Hopefully the prices will settle so I would wait.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You won't have to drain unless your CYA is too high. If you use a whole bucket of tablets each year it could well be so high that you need to replace a significant amount of water. What is your most recent CYA level?. You should keep the CYA in range for either disinfection method. As I'm sure you know, TFP recommends liquid chlorine only or salt swg. But you can use tablets if you manage the CYA level through draining. If you let the FC get low for any reason salt pool or not you will likely have an algae encounter that will require a SLAM. Shocking every week is not advised. The method you are using with a "weekly shock" is problematic especially for a salt pool. Depending on the shock chemical you are adding you can end up with high CH which will likely cause deposits on the swg cell or you will have climbing CYA that inhibits the effectiveness of the FC. TFP salt methodology is very simple. Just use an approved test kit and balance the pool. Once you get the CH and CYA at the correct level you'll most likely only have to add acid once per week. If you stay within TFP levels your CSI will be slightly negative most of the time which helps prevent deposits in the cell.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Mdragger88
I was looking at these on discount salt pool yesterday & reeling over the price increases. Definitely something to wait on until the off season to purchase as I have a 27k gal pool & need the big boy 55 or better yet 60.

oh I gotcha you happy with it?
Yea, I run my pump on very low speed 24x7 and now with the Edge40 at 1/3 power it keeps my FC around 7..Now that the water is cooling down ( BIG FROWN ) I have it shutting off for 5 hours and its still holding around 5.5.
I have a 28K pool and it direct sun about 8 hours a day but we get a lot of tree junk as I call it which can cause an algae bloom so I run it a little then suggested

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.