SWG chlorinator and pump out of action

mrnamjama

Jan 25, 2019
Australia
Hi all

I need to turn off the pool pump and chlorinator for a while. Australia, summer, bushfires, damaged infrastructure.

To check my logic... I look up the stats on my chlorinator cell and derive how much chlorine it produces at a particular setting, multiplied by daily pump run time.

That gives me the amount of chlorine to add to the pool on a daily basis.

I can splash it around a bit and encourage everyone to use the pool, but clearly the filtering won't be doing anything.

What else do I need to think about? What's the recommended source of chlorine?

Thank you!

...jama,

Your idea is basically correct...

You should run your FC level based upon your CYA level.. You should test and see what your FC is and add whatever it takes to get your FC back to your required FC level..

See this chart... FC/CYA Levels You should always try to keep your CYA and FC at the ratio in the chart. If the SWCG is not running, you should use the Chlorine section of the chart, instead of the saltwater section.

I use Liquid Chlorine during our winter, when the cell does not generate any chlorine because the water is too cold.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Use liquid chlorine (aka bleach). Look at FC/CYA Levels and use the levels for the non-SWCG pools.

Use a brush, robot, etc if possible to mix it in.

Take care -- and be safe.

Hi mrnamjama,

First up stay safe, the fire situations currently unfolding is dire indeed. Be careful around damaged equipment. I would ensure that your power supply is safe, if your electrical equipment is damaged and temporarily unusable ensure it is turned off at the switchboard.

Liquid chlorine is your best choice, Bunnings in the larger jugs (10L ?). Stock up, I guess they will run out. This is not TFP preferred but given the situation and lack of flow I would get a plastic watering can (5litre with rose) to sprinkle diluted chlorine or bleach around the pool surface. Very important, pool water in first to about half way, then always add concentrated chlorine to water, not the other way around. Then top up with more pool water and sprinkle around the surface. Wait about half an hour to swim.

Do you have any idea from latest tests what your CYA is? Again this is not preferred TFP method but as close as you can guess is better then nothing until you can get every thing back to normal and self testing.

The app has chlorinator calculator, your SWG may not be there but just choose one that is close. My SWG is 25mg/h and I use one that is 1.32lb/day. I recal that an amount of ~3-4ppm/day is a rough guess. From the SWG calculator my pool is currently using about 4ppm/day with CYA @ 70ppm, 4ppm/day @ 12.5% in PoolMath with your pool volume will give you a dose volume. If your CYA is on the low side you may need closer to 5 or 5.5ppm FC/day.

Use your scoop to keep out as much debris as possible, both off the bottom and surface skimming. If you have smoke and ash around that gets into the pool I would expect this to increase both TA and CH and put upward pressure on your pH. You may want to stock up on some acid while your getting chlorine.

Testing and dosing as required will always be your best method. CCL is our best choice for a FAS/DPD FC test kit and CYA kit.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.