Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm planning to add a SWG to my pool this spring. However, after reaching out to a local company to get a quote on equipment and install, I was cautioned against added a SWG to my pool since it has an automatic cover. PB advised to go UV instead because SWG would cause corrosion on the cover parts.

Is this a legit concern? And is UV the better option or is he just trying to get me to buy more chlorine?

Is this a legit concern?
Nope. Poor quality materials will weather due to moisture. Many chlorine dosed pools reach 'salt' levels which are only 10% of ocean salinity. So they can't differentiate one pool causing an issue. But. That doesn't mean they won't try to blame the salt anyway.

Check with the manufacturer and see if its their issue, or just the PB who doesnt know better.
And is UV the better option
UV is a secondary sanitation method for residential pools. If you need the full primary method either way, why spend $1500 on a secondary system when the primary method is 100% reliable ?

You can't test it, or prove it's working, so we reccomend passing on it.

UV has no residual sanitizer ability and does not replace the need for chlorine.

I think you will find components of your cover system will corrode whether you have a SWG or not. But if you have a SWG it is easy to put the blame on the system.

Also every chlorinated pool accumulates salt in the water as salt is an ingredient in whatever form of chlorine you are using in your pool. Over time you can have as much salt in your water as a SWG system needs even without having the cell.

So cover parts naturally corrode, all pools have salt in them, and a SWG will not help or hurt your situation but will take the blame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.