SWG and Pump synchronization

Buki222

Jun 22, 2021
Romania
Hello guys. I recently built a pool (not me) and the constructor installed me a SWG (this model Elettrolisi del sale Autochlor RP-PH fino a 75 mc acqua)
My question is :
I run my pump like 10 hrs per day, when the pump shuts down (I have a smart programmed electrical socket) should I also shut down my SWG ?

Another question. My pool size is 55 metric cube (12000 gallons) and I added like 250 kg of salt to it (10 bags).
After 24 hrs of dissolving, I turned the SWG on, all good (100% percentage). After 2 days I tested the water, PH was good, CL was 2mg/l (also good). I lowered the potentiometer of the SWG to about 50%.
I always turned off the pump together with my SWG after 10 hrs of running.
Now after a week has gone, I checked the SWG and it flashes a light saying (check cell or not enough salt). Is the salt already evaporated ? Chlorine concentration is still good.
Should I add more salt ? or there is something wrong with my SWG.
I translated the usage manual of my SWG from italian to english.
My model has no timer. (I use a smart socket also)

Attachments

• MAN_AUTOCHLOR_CPAsrl_rev02.it.en.pdf
    753.5 KB · Views: 8
Yes the SWG should be off any time the pump is not running to avoid any potential ignition and explosion from the hydrogen gas produced in the cell. Regarding your salt levels, you need to be able to test the salt level of your pool water independant of the SWG. Low salt readings from the unit may be caused by a mineral buildup on the plates of the cell so diagnose your issue by testing. A good test kit allows you to properly balance your pool water and diagnose many issues.

Do you have any test results on your current water balance?
Monitoring pH, Calcium, Total Alkalynity and CYA (cyanuric acid or chlorine stabilizer) is important especially for SWG pools.
Not sure what's available where you are but not all test kits are equal.
Test Kits Compared

I also have a Ph Doser (came with the SWG together) but I've got a small tester which only measures pH and Cl (mg/l)
Tested in the morning Ph was always between 7.2-7.4 and CL was between 1.5-3.
At 18:00 PM Cl value always decreased at 0.6. I turn my pump and SWG over the night (running from (22:00 PM -> 11:00 AM)

I'm afraid my "cell" could be damaged (already :( .. the indicator always flashes that "salt is too low" and on the led no chlorine is generated, I setted the potentiometer now at 40-50%)
1624380219705.png

Should I buy smth like this ?

Last edited:
Don't give up on your SWG yet, you may need to clean your SWG cell or simply add salt but test your water first to help diagnose this. The Taylor K-1766 is a good salt test kit and the K-2006C is a good choice for easily balancing your pool water. Be sure to read your instruction manual as calcium deposits on your cell plates will trigger a low salt light, reduce Cl production and the cell must be cleaned. This is why we recommend you test your water yourself before adding more salt. Also not having your pool water balanced will require more maintenance of your cell as deposits will form on your cell plates faster slowing chlorine production. Invest in the proper tools to keep your pool and equipment operating properly, prevent damage and costly repairs.

While I'm waiting for my measurement kits, on Saturday I added 5 bags (25 kg each bag) of pool salt. Waited 24h to dissolve, started the pump and swg on Sunday night.
Output on the Led was 30%. Kept the pump and swg running until today (tuesday morning), checked the SWG, output was 0% led with "Low salt" turned on again.
Water is crystal clear Ph and Cl (only values I can measure) are in range.

To echo what everyone else said, the SWG should be wired with the pump, or otherwise shut off when its not running. Get a real test kit for salt, as the strips are unreliable, and the sensor in your salt cell has a lot of different factors going on as well, and could be obscured by mineral deposits or sensor problems. I would start by cleaning your cell, and getting a real test kit, like some of the ones mentioned here.. The strips are unreliable and don't have the resolution you need.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.