SWCG % vs. pump run time; which to select?

brucehenson

Gold Supporter
Nov 27, 2018
Taylors/SC
Happy pool season to all.

I’ve been searching for the most efficient way to maintain proper FC levels in my pool. Checking AM and PM levels and adjusting chemicals. I’m not at a conclusion yet but was wondering...is it best to increase cell run percentage, or pump run time? Both would have an effect on cell life, my wife likes to see the water moving during the entire day. I use a gpm approach (unadvised I know) and run the flow at 40 gpm (8AM-10PM) except when the cleaner booster pump is running three hours a day (then 50 gpm). At 40 gpm we are using 169 watts which is really efficient.

I would be interested to gain more experienced advice.

How do you define "most efficient"?
And I have no idea what the gpm approach is to running your pump.

If you want the lowest possible electrical cost, then you need to run the SWG at 100% output and the pump just long enough to produce enough FC to maintain it at a high enough level ... and put the pump speed at the minimum speed for the SWG to have adequate flow. That is the "most efficient" from a power consumption point of view.

If you REALLY want to get power efficient, ditch the power hog booster pump cleaning system (this is the most inefficient way to clean a pool as you have to run 2 pumps) and get an electric robot.

Reality is you might need to run your pump for longer periods, like for your cleaner or a heater.
Or you might want your FC levels to be more consistent and adding chlorine over longer periods of time.

There is no wrong answer here ... just make sure the FC level stays high enough all the time.

Bruce,

In the big picture, your pump is so efficient, that you can run it 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month. Making changes to the run times is not going to make a whole lot of difference one way or the other.

For me, convenience is more important then efficiency.. I run my pump 24/7 at about 1200 RPM.. My SWCG runs at a low percentage the whole time.. I like skimming 24/7 and I like making a little chlorine all the time vs. a lot of chlorine all at once. I also like the fact that I never have to hear my pump prime..

As Jason points out.. There is no one answer here.. Do what makes you happy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim and Jason,

Thank you, I’m really enjoying this journey. Having a VSF pump I can control speed or flow. I prefer flow because it responds to restrictive variables such as skimmer and pump baskets.

At any rate, I think that I like the 24/7 option and reduce my SWCG% accordingly. It makes sense to me to be producing chlorine overnight and letting it fall TOWARD the minimum during the high UV periods. Fact of the matter (as you both pointed out) it’s 6 of one/half dozen of the other...the cell will still run similar amounts of time.

How do I schedule for this? Do I just omit the schedule all together and turn the pump ON unscheduled, or do I schedule it in 24 hour increments?

Thanks for the experienced help,
Bruce

For me, convenience is more important then efficiency..

Hey Jim, do you find yourself using 100s of rpms or random #s ? I find myself using speeds like 1975 rpm because i can, not because it vaccuums any better than 2000 rpm.

Dude,

Nothing magic about round numbers, but I tend to pick a speed that is a round number, like 1000 RPM, and then increase it in increments of 100 until it does what I want.. So, while you pick 1975, I would pick 2000.. In the big picture I doubt it makes any difference one way or the other. :)

I never really thought about it before...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Of course it makes no significant difference. I just do it for fun because i can. I totally see how some would have OCD about my 2015 or 1245rpm. Sometimes its just to make the wattage and even #, sometimes the rpm is a year i liked. All that control is POWER i tell you...... lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.