SWCG vs Ozone

Sep 2, 2017
highland, il
We currently have an Intex style 16' x 48". After a couple of years of chlorine and the original cartridge filter, I cut in a skimmer, added a sand filter, and SWCG.
Quite happy with the salt.
Now, we want a hard side 18' x 52". Stopped by local pool company the other day for pricing. Contemplating an ozone system.
If we go with salt, they're recommending a "salt friendly" pool. If we go with ozone, it's a standard pool.
We were told the salt pool is more expensive up front (by $1000), cheaper in the long run.
- Would you switch? Why?
- Pros and Cons of each

The 'ozone' does not reduce the chlorine needed for a pool. You still must follow the FC/CYA Levels

So do you want to add liquid chlorine to your pool every day? Or continue to have the SWCG create your chlorine?

Ozone is just a secondary oxidizer that only works alongside chlorine. Pool stores and installers love to talk it up, but that's because it requires regular replacement purchases from them. In reality it provides virtually zero benefit in an outdoor pool as the extra oxidation is wasted in such a light bather load and there's no need for additional help to break down CCs as sunlight more than takes care of that.

As for a "salt friendly pool", do keep in mind that all pools have salt. If the salt pool is better built and will last longer, it should be a good option for everyone if the price is right. But don't think you have to buy it just because you have a salt pool, a normal frame will last just as long with a salt pool as it will any other. Making special products for use in "salt pools" is a common ploy. Chemical manufacturers will take the exact same product and put it in two bottles, one normal and one labeled for salt pools. One is overpriced, and the other costs even more.

EDIT: I said ozone but was describing UV. Changed it to properly describe ozone, but the difference is relatively small. Both are secondary assistants to chlorine but their potential is wasted in an outdoor residential pool.

Last edited:
Does the “salt friendly” pool include the swg? That may be the majority of the added cost & why they are saying more $ upfront but cheaper in the long run?
In general the usual differences between salt friendly & non are resin top rails & uprights & the warranty isn’t affected by swg use.
Most prefer resin regardless of the method of chlorination. The walls of the pool are generally the same & have the same metals & coatings.
If u go for salt don’t forget to get a cell rated for 2x’s you’re pool volume.

Reactions: Skunked again
I apologize, I said ozone instead of oxygen.

Donldson - I was wondering if a "salt friendly" pool was more of a gimmick. The manufacturer does however, void the warranty if you use salt on a pool that's not rated for it.

Mdragger88 - Yes, the SWG is included in the price.

With that said, what can you tell me about oxygen versus salt? I'll do a search on this site also.

Boy, if you thought our view of ozone was dim...

So-called "oxygen pools" are not supported here as they do not keep a proper sanitizer in the bulk pool water, thus rendering them unsanitary. Just another gimmicky system designed to drive sales of new products and sold via half-truths and outright lies regarding chlorine.

Looked at the pamphlet for oxygen again, now, I'm confused. It also mentions ozone.
It uses ozone and UV to create "advanced oxidation products". Like most sales pitches, there's a kernel of truth in there, but it's not nearly as good as the sales literature would have you believe. UV and Ozone have their places, and their use together is nothing new (the marketing misses that part and acts like it's the latest and greatest thing!) but the benefits are very limited outside of the commercial arena. When you have a pool with dozens of people in it all day every day, then UV and ozone are worth considering. However, for a residential pool chlorine is more than sufficient for all oxidation and sanitation of the water.

Most swg’s (non intex) Will start in the $600 range & go up from there so that’s not too bad of an increase for resin + swg.
Oxygen systems will have u adding all kinds of oxidizers “scoops of O” to keep the water from getting yukky looking but they still don’t sanitize properly. Its a whole bunch of extra hoopla & expense for “proprietary” products to still end up with an under sanitized pool that you can’t really test.
Also just throwing this out there as option c - keep your current swg & buy the resin pool. The volume is not that different- not sure if u have the 7k gal or 15k gal intex swg but either one should be able to swing it until you’re ready for a more expensive cell.

Reactions: Skunked again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.