SWCG, necessity?

3asyB

Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
CSTX
I’m in “about to the plaster” stage. Plumbing/electrical are being done now.

I’m trying to wrap my head around a gallon of bleach a day! Do I need to pump the brakes and see if it’s not too late to spring for a swcg.

Spring for the SWG although in Texas the PBs may try and talk you out of it. Your FC level can be maintained more consistently and you can leave the pool for a week or so and not worry about finding someone to babysit your pool and add CL or need to put pucks in the water.

SWGs are certainly convenient. At the same time, adding chlorine manually gets a bit of a hard rap (IMO) as well since most of us are at the pool once each day anyways to check the skimmer, sweep, etc. Not a big deal. But in today's age of androids, automation, and timers, many folks appreciate anything with an automatic function. Your call really. For what it's worth, my pool is just under 18K and I use about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach each day in the peek of summer by keeping my CYA between 50-60 w/ 100% full sun. If it's too late to have the SWG plumbed, see if you can at least ensure you have power access nearby so that later all you have to do is tap into the PVC and connect everything. Congrats on the new pool.

As Pat said, it’s a lifestyle choice. SWGs are not that expensive when you compare it to your overall build cost and they are super-convenient. The economics of them is pretty much equivalent to any method of sanitation; with an SWG, you are simply paying for all of your chlorine upfront. As Allen said, they are super convenient if you have a busy life.

As for me - I wouldn’t want to own a pool without an SWG.

For me, my pool uses a quart a day during peak summer months. I have no problem spending 2 minutes to add it every day.
I go to Walmart weekly to buy supplies for the house, so I just add a case of chlorine to the shopping list. No biggie.

I’d rather cut my arm off than not have an SWG. If you have automation you can change the output of “chlorine” at the click of a button. Once your SWG is dialed in it’s a cakewalk. No way I’d have a pool in Texas without out. I’m in Sugar Land and the SWG to me is a necessity. It’s worth every single penny. Not to mention I love the feel of the water over a chlorine pool.

I'm a jug dumper... about a quart of 12% per day in season. If I ever have to get in there and start cutting pipes to replace equipment, a SWG is going in. Right now I see no reason to create problems where there aren't any. I'm pretty sure the cost works out about the same over the life of the cell, but the convenience factor is what I see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to install SWG in the next month or two. I also am going to buy a Dolphin robot. I built my pool, and in general, tend to not pay for things that I can do myself. But these are two things that I think are quite useful.

SWG - biggest benefit that I see is maintaining a consistent level of chlorine. All fall I was a jug dumper, and it was challenging to get my chlorine levels consistent, and that was in cool weather. Levels would drop a hair low, then be a hair high, then low, then high...and on and on. Kinda like going for a run on a really hilly road. SWG is like going for a run on the local high school track...it doesn't fluctuate much.

full

a SWG is like going for a run on the local high school track...it doesn't fluctuate much.

S,

Not exactly... A SWCG just puts out the amount of chlorine you tell it... It has no idea if it is sunny or cloudy.. Your pool will continue to use more FC one day than the next...

I always run my FC a little "hot" just to make sure it never drifts too low.

I also believe pool care is a little more like hand grenades rather than say darts... Close is plenty close enough, you almost never need to hit the center of the bullseye.

That said... you can take my SWCG, right after Pat cleans that bleach off his cold dead hands... :laughblue:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.