SWCG Lights go on then off

Skoutariotis

Mar 29, 2020
California
Lights, top 3 (I have it on super chlorinate) come on for about 20 seconds or so, then go off for about 75 seconds or so then back on same timing, (timed by counting, not by timer, probably +/- 5 seconds).
All looks physically ok, no water damage, looks clean. Display always on, I noticed when I unplug the cell it says "Cold", when I plug it back in, shows the salt level. Do you think the thermistor causes this? Thanks for any imput!

Welcome to the forum.

Can you fill out your signature? That information really helps us help you.

Can I assume you have a Pentair ICXX SWCG?

Reactions: Skoutariotis
Additional info....
I just found out, when the pump goes off, the power light stays on, and the "no flow" light comes on, as it should. It seems more to me it MAY be the thermistor, since when there is no flow, there is not generating, no load on the thermistor.
I welcome on input, thank you in advance.
PS: I updated my sig, hopefully it's complete!

You have a Hayward Aquarite SWG system - please update your signature as well as add the rest of your pool equipment

@JamesW ideas?

When the pump goes off, the SWCG should be completely powered off, so that is not wired correctly. But that is not your immediate issue

Move the switch to Off and check the diagnostic readings. Then, move the switch to Auto and recheck the readings.

If the voltage is erratic, the thermistor is probably bad.

With the switch in the Off position, the voltage should be about 30 to 32 and steady.

When the switch is moved to Auto and the cell begins to generate, the voltage should be about 24 to 28 and fairly steady.

If the voltage is going below 24, the thermistor is bad.

What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?

There are two thermistors.

The one in the cell determines the temperature.

There is also one on the circuit board that functions as a current limiter.

When the circuit board thermistor goes bad, the voltage will become erratic and the generating led will go on and off.

Last edited:
There are two thermistors.

The one in the cell determines the temperature.

There is also one on the circuit board that functions as a current limiter.

When the circuit board thermistor goes bad, the voltage will become erratic and the generating led will go on and off.

Hey, thanks for the reply....
Yes, interesting, the voltage when on drops to 1+ volt then starts building up and at about 17 something the lights come back on, then it within 10 seconds, very fast drops to the 1 volt and the lights go out shortly after. Same happens when the pump is off.
In regards to the cell, I have replaced the original with an aftermarket, cannot afford the OEM. The current one (aftermarket) is M/N HGT15-1 S/N 165A5DHWE190318 The original (Hayward) is S/N 5E0606-2167310

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to put the Aquarite on a timer so that it gets turned off when the pump is off or just let the variable speed pump run continuously at low rpm.
The pump has its own timer. I guess the reason they wired it like this is to allow the pump to always have power. The old (20 year old) timer is still in line, but disabled, I guess I can re-enable it so it'll turn everything off, but I'm not sure if the pump will restart on power up or even remember it's timers.

Thanks, from the action, I thought so. BTW, does digi-key carry the board? What should I look for for replacement?
Again, thanks a million, you're awesome!
... wait, I take it back! What I said is still correct, but at the time the system was put together, the pump did NOT have it's own timer, I have since replace it with a variable speed, and it HAS it's own timer. IDK why they wired it like that. I'm gonna have to study the pump, it MAY have a way to provide power to the controller when it comes on!

Don't put the pump on the timer. Only put the aquarite on the timer. Set the aquarite timer inside the timer settings on the pump.

The circuit board is glx-pcb-rite if you want to replace it.

Digikey doesn't carry the board. I would replace the thermistor and go from there.

You need to put the Aquarite on a timer so that it gets turned off when the pump is off or just let the variable speed pump run continuously at low rpm.
Yeah, I just might replace that 20 year old mechanical timer and put the AquaRite only on it, since the pump has it's own timer.
BTW: I may be clueless on this stuff, but I'm a retired IT guy and former electronics design/engineering guy! So, I can handle the repairs, as long as I have a clue what to repair! lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.