SWCG In Aluminum (Esther Williams Classic)

trcons

May 17, 2010
Hi,

I recently purchased a used aluminum above ground pool. As I have been getting the site reading and running the electrical I have read a bunch about pool chemistry. (I'm no expert)
I am gone 3 days a week on average, usually in a row. It looks like a SWCG would be a good fit for me. I am a little nervous however about some of the posts I have read about corrosion on aluminum pool cleaner poles etc. Does anyone have experience with aluminum above ground pools and swcgs?

Thanks,
Tom

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
Waaay NW MN
I don't know about fully aluminum pools, however my bottom rails are aluminum - I haven't had any pitting or issues, however I do know what you are talking about with the aluminum extension poles, I had my first one get quite pitted, but then I would leave it propped inside the pool leaning on the steps for extended periods - but then learned to remove and rinse my equipment after being in the pool. My metal walls are in really nice shape, not a spot of rust or degradation from the salt (we had to replace our liner this spring so I got to look everything over pretty well) I don't know how it would work with a fully aluminum pool - just keep in mind that the top rails are probably the part that would have contact enough to notice any damage or difference - the walls, rails, etc., would all be protected by the liner except the outside walls during splash out - with a routine "spraydown" using the garden hose after pool use, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully an aluminum pool user will be along soon to help you with that particular. I just know that I do LOVE having the SWG

kcktfp

May 25, 2011
I'm about to install a 27" Ester Williams Classic and am considering using a SWCG system. I am concerned about corrosion of the Aluminum. Did you go ahead and use a SWCG system with your pool?

Other Threads of Interest