Swamp Fever...First Time Pool Opening....SLAM Time

It would be cool to have a special “I survived my SLAM” archive section in TFP, for people to use for inspiration!

It would be cool to have a special “I survived my SLAM” archive section in TFP, for people to use for inspiration!

Sounds like a good idea to me. As far as SLAMs go this year was a lot easier than last year..for various reasons...lol

For those that didn't see the pix from lunch, they are on the previous page.

Well it's that time again, another year another swamp. LOL

Opened the pool a week ago and it's still got a long way to go. Water was black and now it's just a dark green, you can make out the white part of the brush at the bottom of the pool if you flip the brush over. Seems to be a lot of little particles in the water. Somehow I lost some sand from my filter but haven't taken the multi port off to see how much. I'm tempted to just clean out the filter and add all new sand as opposed to just adding some. Doesn't seem to be filtering as well as it did the last three years.

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
You are earlier than last year!! Glad you are already seeing a difference!

Replacing the sand is up to you. It has been said filter sand can last forever but if it makes you feel better go ahead and change it out.

Kim:kim:

I can say sand does seem to last forever with proper backwashing and rinsing. For my mom's IG pool, last summer was year 50 for the sand filter. Motor, spider valve, and heater replaced many times.

I'm going to skip replacing sand but I do need to check to make sure if it needs more added.

Here's a couple of pictures from when I took the mesh cover off on April 2nd, I didn't get everything up and running until the 5th. I'll take one this evening as its changed a bunch in a short time. I can see the pattern in the bottom of the pool and I can also see the rake and vacuum head. Doesn't look like there is much in the way of larger particles in the water now, it's just green. Also seems that there isn't much settling on the bottom, I don't see anything kick up when I brush.

I've been running my FC at 13-14ppm and it's never dropped below the recommended 12ppm for my CYA of 30.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But it's just a skimmer away!

It actually wasn't bad yesterday. There weren't any in the pool at lunch today.

I SO hear you!! They are BAD here as well!! GURRRR

Well if I didn't have two giant oak tress within 30 feet of the pool it wouldn't be so bad. Need to have some branches cut back but the cost to do that here is outrageous.

Well if I didn't have two giant oak tress within 30 feet of the pool it wouldn't be so bad. Need to have some branches cut back but the cost to do that here is outrageous.
Just an Idea (be safe/smart, lol) You might check your local FB page for someone who does it on the side, we got a local guy who works for a tree service in bigger town, clean up our neighbors tree overgrowth (which happily covers OUR tiny yard, ugh, we are the ONLY yard without trees, lol) For a decent price, and did a great job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.