Supplementing an SWG pool with Liquid Chlorine?

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
I run my SWCG about 11-12 hours a day at 50-60% We switched to salt last fall so this is the first summer with the SWG We’ve had a pretty long stretch of extreme UV lately and no rain. Pool water is clear.

With the current weather, is it ok to supplement with liquid chlorine? If so, which chlorine product would you use? I prefer not to run the SWG at the highest % or run the pool pump more than 12 hours. I already replaced the first failed iChlor 30 under warranty.

My morning numbers (0730) today:

FC 3.5 Overnight FC loss less than 1ppm.
CC 0.0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 75

So, would you supplement? The FC/CYA chart shows I should be at FC 6 and this system is struggling to get there and maintain.

Last edited:
At 11 hours of pump time and 50% setting you are making 2.3 ppm FC per day for your pool. That is on the low side in your environment. You need to raise your % setting to 90 or run the pump longer to get to 4 ppm FC per day.

Reactions: Charlie227
I use liquid chlorine as my main source but I also have the trichlor pucks in the Rainbow feeder set to the lowest setting as supplemental. I am not able to check my pool chems ever single day so adding the liquid CH 2-3 times per week works for me while the trichlor pucks supplement in between. My wife certainly isn't going to be doing the tester bottles and pouring in bleach... I know the trichlor will raise my CYA slowly but water in Memphis is cheap so doing a water exchange is easy for me.

Reactions: Charlie227
Raise your FC to target level with liquid chlorine. The SWCG is for maintenance, not increasing FC.

Liquid chlorine, bleach, chlorinating liquid, liquid pool shock, goes by lots of names. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, pool stores.

Thanks. I added a quart of chlorine (suggested by the Pool Math app) that I bought at Lowes today. FC is back up as of this evening 7.5. I will continue to run the SWG at 90% for another day to see if I need to reduce run time or lower % some. Thanks for the excellent advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The anyone with a unique link should be off. The Link from Troublefreepool.com user profile should be on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.